British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-20, 08:03 AM

Default First use of Vertical Shank or Slider fitting

I keep reading posts on the forum quoting 1903 and 1906 as the dates that the rear vertical shank or slider was first used, how definite is this as my QVC Devonshire would seem to suggest an earlier date?

Rob

Old 15-08-20, 09:18 AM

Were long sliders not originally used for pugaree badges before they became standard on cap badges?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 15-08-20, 11:51 PM

A very interesting anomaly here. I doubt that slider had anything to do with a Pagri fixing. No reference to my knowledge indicates such a badge as this for such purpose. It looks like a typical long slider as the earliest ones were.
The change from QVC to KC did not happen overnight. Could this be a very early example of a slider fixing by a maker that had not yet changed the crown?

CB
Old 16-08-20, 06:32 AM

All the QVC Devonshire cap badges I have seen so far appear to be from the same dies, and the rose at the bottom of the circlet is very like the ones used by Gaunt, so I had wondered if Gaunt were the only manufacturers for this theoretically short lived badge.