British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-10, 01:14 PM

Default Irish Guards Experts Please

Hi All

I've just received this badge and would appreciate members opinions as to whether it is genuine and if so is it a WO's badge or an Officer's badge. It could do with a clean but I'm leaving that until I know if it's good or not.

As usual, many thanks in advance

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0762.jpg (72.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0760.jpg (73.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0758.jpg (54.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0765.jpg (22.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 26-05-10, 07:04 PM

Paddy

While I would not call myself an expert I do take an interest in the Regiment’s insignia.

Firstly, I think that you have a good cap star there, I would be happy to have it in my own personal collection.

Regarding whether it is an Officer’s or W/O’s badge that very much depends on its age. From the 1970’s until late in 2009 the same star was worn by Officers, W/O and Staff (referred to hereafter as "common pattern”). Prior to this W/O & Staff wore a different pattern where the central boss was far less raised that the officers pattern (a sample of this is below on the left dates from 1943). Your star has the raised boss so is either an Officers cap star (if pre 1970’s ) or a common pattern star if post that.

I find dating cap stars with out a hall mark or a makers mark very difficult to do. Although officer’s stars are issued the regiment frequently rejects them due to inferior quality) and they privately commission superior quality items on a frequent basis. Each time there are slight variations on the design. Added to this the diamond cut star (first used on the 1900 officer’s prototype star) has re-appeared from time to time and until recently at least there is no logic to its appearance and disappearance.

I do have at home a relatively good set of images of issue and privately commissioned stars from the 1970’s onwards and will see if anything looks close.

You have either an Officers pattern star (if pre 1970’s ) or a common pattern star if later than that.

Gary Gibbs may be able to help further, it was he that informed me that late 2009 Officers took into use a straight cut star versus the diamond cut (see below on the right this one dates from 2008) which had been worn by Officers W/O and Staff but the latter is now worn by W/O and staff .

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WO1943 STAR.jpg (45.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2008 common pattern star.jpg (5.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 26-05-10, 08:39 PM

John

Many thanks for your comments, I'll happily call you an expert. Looks like I have done better this time than my last attempt at getting a cap star.

The badge came on a pattern card but as I was uncertain as to the validity of either the star or card I though I would just post pics of the star and see how it was received. I have attached pics of the card and badge as I received them. Going by your dates and the date on the card it looks like it is the common pattern (made by LB&B) and I wouldn't be wrong in placing it as either an Officer's or WO's star.

Many thanks again and hope the pics of the pattern card are of interest.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0771.jpg (36.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0772.jpg (33.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0776.jpg (43.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 27-05-10, 12:32 AM

Paddy

things look like they check out to me. LB&B also produced a production lot of the common star in in 1985 (this was a diamond cut pattern) it was sold at RHQ at the time for 33.04. I got this data from the display at RHQ and the image I have of that star looks very similiar to yours.

Also 5397 is the original pattern number given to the staff cap star on 24/09/1901.

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 27-05-10 at 02:15 AM. Reason: added pattern number details.
Old 27-05-10, 07:51 PM

John

Many thanks again, I guess £24 was a good price to pay then.

Paddy
Old 27-05-10, 08:05 PM

Default IRISH GUARDS CAP STAR PATTERN CARD

Hi Paddy,
This badge is spot on and at £24 you did indeed get a bargain. The reason I know this is because I was the seller. The badge & card are 100% genuine and I hope you enjoy owning it.
I had 9 other original pattern cards from LB & B most sold at auction but a few others will be relisted in the near future.
Best Regards
UKbrits
Old 28-05-10, 07:01 PM

Hi Ukbrits

Didn't realise you were a forum member too. I liked the badge when I got it but always like to get a second opinion on badges where I have no great knowledge and especially as there are so many dodgy versions of guards officers badges. Looking forward to snapping up more of your bargains although I don't think I'll be as lucky next time.

Paddy