British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-22, 07:49 AM

Question RND Hawke Battalion

Hi All

The image attached depicts my great grandfather, who was a member of the RND Hawke Battalion. You can see the Hawke Battalion badge on his wife's (my great Grandmother) blouse.

I am having his medals mounted, and looking to include the Hawke badge, but also some other detail and possibly badges.

I wonder if you can assist me to understand the other badges visible? What is the shoulder badge and the epaulette badge? Do the wrist markings indicate anything? I think the one on his right arm indicates his rank as a petty officer but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance for any help!

https://imgur.com/a/vbC6HaH
Old 26-03-22, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hello UnkownUser, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 26-03-22, 11:33 AM

Not sure (someone will correct me if I'm wrong):

Left arm - Good Conduct Stripe and 2 x Wound stripe/badges ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-03-22, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownUser View Post
I think the one on his right arm indicates his rank as a petty officer but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance for any help!

https://imgur.com/a/vbC6HaH
An old post from another site :

Quote:
Wound stripes are about 2" long and are worn vertically on the left middle forearm, side by side, if more than one. Overseas service chevrons are worn on the right lower forearm and measure approx 2" wide at the top and bottom. Good Conduct chevrons are much larger and similar to an NCO's stripes but worn upside down and again on the left lower forearm

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 26-03-22, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

With that info you can date it to the end of the war. He does not have any medal ribbons so he was not overseas before Jan 1916 and the post war Victory and BWM ribbons would not be seen until 1919. The fact he has the good conduct chevron suggest he enlisted fairly early on.

Does this tie up with your record of his service?
Old 26-03-22, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
With that info you can date it to the end of the war. He does not have any medal ribbons so he was not overseas before Jan 1916 and the post war Victory and BWM ribbons would not be seen until 1919. The fact he has the good conduct chevron suggest he enlisted fairly early on.

Does this tie up with your record of his service?
Thank you all for your comments.

He received the 1914 star, the British War Medal, and the Victory medal (I have these). For that reason I think the photo is earlier.
He enlisted in November 1914. In June 1915 he was wounded in the Dardanelles, and further wounded in 17 November 1916 - presumably the battle of Somme where Hawke were fighting on that date. He remained enlisted until the end of 1919.

So I think the two bars could be wound bars as suggested.
After some research, I think the three chevron on his right sleeve are overseas service chevrons (3 years), and the one chevron on his right sleeve is the good conduct chevron. Could that be right?