British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-14, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
1962?
Here you go Frank http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962
Old 19-09-14, 05:59 AM

Given that the Royal Norfolk Regiment in effect ceased in 1959 and the Territorial Force long before that, then why 1962?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Old 19-09-14, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Given that the Royal Norfolk Regiment in effect ceased in 1959 and the Territorial Force long before that, then why 1962?
The Regimental flag was lowered for the last time at Britannia Barracks on the 29th of August 1959.

However, Territorial battalions retained the identity of their old regiments. The 4th Battalion (TA) were ordered to disbanded in 1967/68, finally ceasing to exist in 1970.
Old 19-09-14, 12:14 PM

Okay,
So it is not a pre war walking out dress shoulder title then.
Old 19-09-14, 01:10 PM

I didn't say that Frank. I was merely pointing out that that the 4th Battalion (TA) The Royal Norfolk Regiment continued after 1959 and still wearing the Britannia badge. I was assuming the one in the opening post is pre WW1.

The reason I started this thread was because I had a badge that I couldn't place and I was a little suspicious of it. Even though I have been collecting badges on and off for over thirty years, I still have a lot to learn.

Now, Andrew has used the date 1962 and I am not quite sure what he means by that. I hope he will explain.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 19-09-14, 01:29 PM

I'm very confused, what's the point in cryptic posts?

I have seen nickel TF shoulder titles before in the regiments I collect, 10th Middlesex as an example so I'm sure they exist but in my collection other than London titles everything is brass or blackened brass.

I would like to know about this Norfolk one it looks OK but at the same time those coffin lugs are mighty big and similar to those appearing on ebay from certain unscrupulous sellers one of them based in a Northwest seaside resort popular with Glaswegians.

At the end of the day an answer from a Norfolk expert would suffice, good yes or no. Is that too much to ask?
Old 19-09-14, 01:35 PM

I am always amazed at how many WM shoulder titles the TF battalions had.
Just when I think I have seen what there is to my Regiment, along pops another.

None of us ever stop learning, but it makes it very annoying when you are trying to frame a 'complete set' .

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-09-14, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
None of us ever stop learning, but it makes it very annoying when you are trying to frame a 'complete set' .

regards
Does this mythical beast exist?
Old 19-09-14, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
Does this mythical beast exist?
It does exist, but, I havent found it

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 19-09-14, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post

I would like to know about this Norfolk one it looks OK but at the same time those coffin lugs are mighty big
Remember this thread Keith? http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27452 Well, I still have the T/4/NORFOLK and have taken a picture of it next to the w/m one. As you can see, the lugs are smaller and the one behind the "T" looks like it might have been replaced?

Last edited by Nozzer; 17-02-18 at 10:24 PM.
Old 19-09-14, 03:23 PM

The joint between the norfolk and T4 looks to have been rather messy on the front origanally and has had some effort put in polishing it back in that area, just my thoughts.
Andy
Old 20-09-14, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
The joint between the norfolk and T4 looks to have been rather messy on the front origanally and has had some effort put in polishing it back in that area, just my thoughts.
Andy
It does look rather messy Andy. Thanks for the observation.

I am wondering if it is a marriage (for whatever reason) and the T/4 either had a normal lug or none at all. That might explain the "coffin" lug on the T looking like a repair?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 21-09-14, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
I didn't say that Frank. I was merely pointing out that that the 4th Battalion (TA) The Royal Norfolk Regiment continued after 1959 and still wearing the Britannia badge. I was assuming the one in the opening post is pre WW1.

The reason I started this thread was because I had a badge that I couldn't place and I was a little suspicious of it. Even though I have been collecting badges on and off for over thirty years, I still have a lot to learn.

Now, Andrew has used the date 1962 and I am not quite sure what he means by that. I hope he will explain.

Kind regards,

Andy
Hi Andy and frank, I do need to explain. That shoulder title was listed in a chaps collection, here in Norfolk in 1962. I never got to see it, but someone told me latter that it had the same faults as Andys badge. I have never been able to find this badge, anywhere.
Old 21-09-14, 04:54 PM

So it was not made in 1962 and it is a pre war walking out dress TF title then?
Old 21-09-14, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Hi Andy and frank, I do need to explain. That shoulder title was listed in a chaps collection, here in Norfolk in 1962. I never got to see it, but someone told me latter that it had the same faults as Andys badge. I have never been able to find this badge, anywhere.
I thought that it was something like that Andrew. Thanks for clearing it up though

I take it the collection that you mention has been broken up now? I wonder if this is the same title?

Thanks for your help,

Andy