British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-11, 11:40 PM

Default Cape Breton Highlanders .....

What do you think Gents? I have seen re-strikes and fakes, good ones that would fool the best of us but these badges have me wondering. (I have seen this badge has been talked about before.) The second badge posted has a small imperfection in the crown, the same imperfection I have seen in a badge selling from a well known respected dealer from Ontario and he is selling it as an original with a hefty price. Up until now I have never questioned them. They both I believe are from a different manufacture, at least the center peace. Your thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M137a front #1.jpg (75.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg M137a back #1.jpg (75.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg M137a front #2.jpg (74.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg M137a back #2.jpg (81.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 31-03-11, 01:47 AM

My dissatisfaction with these badges isn't based on them being re-strikes, but, basically, that I was told they were out and out frauds deliberately cobbled together from surplus buckled overlays and non-buckled bases to part collectors from their money. Here is my original thread post from the Reproduction Registry. Realistically, why would a buckled annulus overlay be put on a non-buckled base, given that the non-buckled badge was made expressly to replace the buckled annulus, which was not authorized?
Old 31-03-11, 02:50 AM

Thanks David for your dialog; I can see where you would question this, would you or anybody have a picture of the back of a said “original” M137a?. Being around Highland regiments my whole life and serving in one the one thing I know is how “creative” they can get some times. Now days we have the Department of History and Heritage (DHH) to keep things in check and from being “creative” but reserve units especially highland ones fly under their radar a lot. I don’t imagine things were any different back then, maybe even worse. I’m not saying that the story of the collector using up a surplus ...... to make a buck isn’t true (I can see that defiantly happening) but I also have seen regimental Quarter Master’s do things like this as well, to get “a job done”. I have witnessed this time and time again. I am glad to hear from you it’s Vets of this sight like you that are trying to keep things honest. Hoping we can get a picture, out of curiosity. Cheers
Old 31-03-11, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hi, With all due respect to DHH, they are fighting a losing battle. There is virtually no control over the issue of patches in Afghanistan. The same was true of combat and cadpat titles. Units purchase runs of titles, with or without authorization. There is a bit more control over the metal badges, but even then there are examples of un-authorized badges in wear. (The RHFC cap badge comes to mind, where a run of 50 or so badges were made that were not acceptable to DHH, but the badges are out there.)
When one examines the process of obtaining badges up to the 1950's there was far more control. Note that most badges in Mazeas have GO's approving them. If the DND / Militia records are examined, one sees that badges were strictly regulated. Un-authorized patterns seldom made it through to production.
Old 01-04-11, 02:35 AM

Well said Bill, no arguments here with DHH. We can get patches made up right outside KAF from a street vender. I just think we as collectors can get paranoid with things especially when money is involved not to mention history being tampered with. I get angry when I find out about fakes, re-strikes, and repo’s being passed out as real, I think it’s criminal. I also am not ready to jump on the conspiracy band wagon with out resurch; I suppose that’s why I am asking for all of your educated opinions. So without getting of topic does anyone have an original they can take a picture of it? I see what you mean with the back not matching the front in regards to the buckle. Hoping to hear from someone... Cheers

Last edited by Drummer1; 01-04-11 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 03:33 PM

I don't have a good one in hand to take photos of, and it's been a while since I've seen one listed, but I'll keep an eye open.
Old 19-03-12, 12:20 AM

Hello drummer, I have an original CBH badge with buckled annulus at work. I will check tomorrow to see if i can scan it and to confirm if the base also contains the buckled annulus or if its only on the overlay.

RQMS CBH

John
Old 23-03-12, 03:08 AM

Drummer1, I have checked my badge, as well as 2 other originals, and I am sorry to say that your badges are indeed fakes. Reasons are as follows, on the rear of the base you can see the dimples that are visible on the front of the non buckled wwii badges, secondly and most importantly is the fact that the original badges with the buckled annlus were fitted with a slider, not lugs. Lugs were used on the wwii versions without the buckled annulus. The reason that the original badges are not too common, is the fact that they are indeed very scarce, and very expensive. Of the 3 that I have seen, including my own, only 1 has the original slider still intact. I would enjoy seeing any others that may be out there that anyone following this string has in their possession.

John
Old 24-03-12, 11:56 PM

Thank you kindly John, any chance of a photo ?

Cheers!
Old 28-03-12, 12:45 AM

Certainly Drummer, give me a couple of days to see if I can borrow the badge with the slider still intact as it does not belong to me. The 1 that i have has the slider broken, I will try to post both in the near future.

John.
Old 28-03-12, 10:59 PM

Good evening Drummer, as discussed, attached are some photos of the front and back of both my badge and a borrowed 1.

Sorry Drummer, I am having problems attaching photos, if you wish to provide your email address i can send from there.

John

Tags
copies, fake canadian scottish, highlanders, restrike