British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-22, 04:42 PM

Default GR VI Button for ID

What are your thoughts on this 24mm button please?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gr.jpg (53.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 27-04-22, 06:28 PM

HM Customs or Royal Household.

Dave.
Old 27-04-22, 07:47 PM

From the May 1982 edition of The Military Historical Society.
By Lt. Col. N.W. Poulsom R.M.P.

Military Police.
Officers.
"As previously recorded the Corps of Officers was first formed in 1953 during the rein of Queen Elizabeth II but despite this a distinctive button was manufactured during the rein of King George VI which was worn by officers; whether this was in general use is not known, but officers serving at this time recall it being used. The button consisted of the Royal Cypher G VI R with crown above, on a frosted background, with a raised rim around the outer edge with a gilt like appearance."

David.
Old 28-04-22, 08:36 AM

Thank you for the replies.

Aren't there other designs for Customs Officers, if that is the case would this be for a specific period?

The Royal Household option is possible in Dennis Blair's book "British Buttons" he does show similar buttons with VR & EVIIR cyphers.

Military Police Officers and Provost Corps I have heard linked to this button, but I don't really understand these organisations, I recently bought a couple of GVR Officers Quality spun backed buttons without the rim and lined backing so I assumed they should also exist with the GVIR cypher?

Rob
Old 28-04-22, 10:50 AM

Yes, a button of that pattern to Royal Household Staff is shown with a GVIR cypher in another Bulletin of the MHS.

The Excise Department was amalgamated with the Customs Department in 1909 & the button had a crown above an oval garter with H.M.C.& E. in it with the Royal Cypher in the centre. This pattern was still in use with the EIIR cypher so presumably was used with a GVIR cypher before this, so not so likely that your button is customs

David.

Last edited by Buttonman; 28-04-22 at 10:56 AM.
Old 28-04-22, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thank you for the replies.

Aren't there other designs for Customs Officers, if that is the case would this be for a specific period?

The Royal Household option is possible in Dennis Blair's book "British Buttons" he does show similar buttons with VR & EVIIR cyphers.

Military Police Officers and Provost Corps I have heard linked to this button, but I don't really understand these organisations, I recently bought a couple of GVR Officers Quality spun backed buttons without the rim and lined backing so I assumed they should also exist with the GVIR cypher?

Rob
There are buttons which read "Customs", "Customs & Excise" or "HMC&E" together with the Vic., KC and QC. Crown with appropriate ciphers inside the worded garter. However, these were not worn by "Officers" (those with full Customs Powers). These "named" buttons were worn by "Watchers", "Doormen", and other uniformed
non-warranted staff.

The "Officers" wore/wear buttons featuring the current crown for the reigning monarch. The design of which is identical to that you show.

Dave

Last edited by altcar73; 28-04-22 at 11:29 AM.