British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Colonial Police and Paramilitary Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-22, 03:26 PM

Default Could someone look up an entry in “Police Gallantry” by J. Peter Farmery please?

Does anyone have a copy of “Police Gallantry” by J. Peter Farmery, covering awards of the King's Police Medal, the King's Police and Fire Service Medal and the Queen's Police Medal for Gallantry, 1909-1978?

If anyone has a copy to hand I would be very grateful if they could furnish me with a scan or copy of the entry covering the award of the King's Police and Fire Services Medal For Gallantry to Tripolitania Police Sergeant Zeidi Ramadan Ben Salem for arresting a dangerous criminal on 27th December 1944.

Many thanks

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 20-03-22, 06:56 PM

Graham,

I have a copy of the book and will scan a copy of the entry for you.

Dave.
Old 20-03-22, 07:01 PM

Graham,

I've just had a look at the book and find no mention of your man. It seems to cover only awards to forces in the British Isles.

Dave.
Old 20-03-22, 07:04 PM

OK, thank you for looking Dave, much appreciated. Looks like I need to make a trip to Kew one day.

Thanks again

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 21-03-22, 08:36 AM

If you do a search of the London Gazette online you might find a mention of the award .
Old 21-03-22, 10:45 AM

Graham needs a photo and full details of the incident. So, London Gazette not much use.

Dave.
Old 03-12-22, 11:45 PM

I have written a book containing details of ALL awards of the KPM, KPFSM and QPM for Gallantry to all police and fire services throughout the world. It is presently with the publishers, expected date of release about April 2023.
Old 05-12-22, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periter View Post
I have written a book containing details of ALL awards of the KPM, KPFSM and QPM for Gallantry to all police and fire services throughout the world. It is presently with the publishers, expected date of release about April 2023.
Hi. Did you manage to get citations/recommendations for all awards of the KPM in India and Burma to native (Indian/Burmese) recipients, or is it only for British officers. Or is it only a record of the names of recipients.

I am interested in getting the citations for the KPMs to Indian/Burmese recipients, but I am not sure if they have all survived or are available. I have a handful sourced from books/archives/auction records etc ...
Old 05-12-22, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by periter View Post
Excellent, I'll be interested to see it.

Graham
Old 24-10-23, 05:06 AM

Default KPM's to police of the world.

Reply to Khyber:-
The book is slow with the publisher, however here is the summary of the circumstances of the award to Zeide Ramadan ben Salem. " on 27.12.1944 he went to arrest a desperate criminal, known to be armed and dangerous. When confronted by this officer, the criminal, without warning, shot the officer. As he was laying mortally wounded, the officer was able to shoot and kill the criminal"

I trust this will help. I do not have any photos of him.