British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-06-19, 11:41 AM

Default QVC 5th Dragoon Guards Badge - Cap or Collar?

Dear All,

I have this QVC badge to the 5th Dragoon Guards, which accompanies a Kings South Africa Medal to a 5DG Trumpeter Lance Corporal, who played kettle drums, centre stage, at the 1903 Delhi Durbar. I have checked your own webpage https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/br...oon_guards.htm, but still not sure if it is a collar or cap badge (and to officer and or other rank)?

In the vertical shot, the badge sits between the 2 and the 8 cm marks.

Grateful for any advice (and thanks),

Owen

Edited to add reply from Lancer 17 (see his post below):

G'day Owen

From your photos its hard to tell weather its a cap or collar and the tape measure really doesn't show. However my QVC 5th DG cap badge is 40 mm high and the QVC collar is 33mm high and both are Bi Metal, that is a Brass/Gilding Metal back ground and with a circular White Metal centre. Both the cap and collar have 2 E - W lugs, yours appears to be all brass and with 2 lugs.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DG 1.jpg (109.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 5DG 2.jpg (107.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 5DG 3.jpg (111.1 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by ojd; 27-06-19 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Edited to add reply from Lancer 17 (see his post below)
Old 27-06-19, 11:46 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojd View Post
Dear All,

I have this QVC badge to the 5th Dragoon Guards, which accompanies a Kings South Africa Medal to a 5DG Trumpeter Lance Corporal, who played kettle drums, centre stage, at the 1903 Delhi Durbar. I have checked your own webpage https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/br...oon_guards.htm, but still not sure if it is a collar or cap badge (and to officer and or other rank)?

In the vertical shot, the badge sits between the 2 and the 8 cm marks.

Grateful for any advice (and thanks),

Owen
G'day Owen

Please see my reply which is in the For Sale section where you placed the original post.

Regards Phil.
Old 27-06-19, 12:35 PM

I think, from the photographs, it is completely spurious.
Old 27-06-19, 12:43 PM

Default QVC 5th DG Badge - Cap or Collar?

Thanks Phil, it is the fact that it is not bi-colour that makes me wonder whether it is cap or collar and whilst I note that the Officer version is all brass, the example shown in the link above is for a KC version.

Sorry for the badly composed tape measure pictures - I have added better ones now. My shaky hand measures the badge at 28mm across and 38mm high.

Thanks again,

Owen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5DG 1.jpg (111.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5DG 2.jpg (109.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 5DG 3.jpg (111.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 27-06-19, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think, from the photographs, it is completely spurious.
Thanks Frank, I must admit I had just assumed it was ok - but, as a novice, can I ask what it is that makes you think it is a fake?

Owen
Old 27-06-19, 01:46 PM

Hi,

I will throw my 2c in, and say it is not a cap or collar. It may very well be something else, but not those. The reason I say that is firstly the quality, which seems from the pics to be somewhat lacking. Victorian badges that I have/have seen, are always beautifully struck and finished. I have the cap and collar for the 5th, (attached) and as I say, I am not being definitive, but I have never seen one like yours, ie not bi-metal.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to give a more expert opinion, but for me, I am with Frank.

Cheers, Tim

PS as for dimensions, mine are approximately 40mm x 27mm and 32mm x 22mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3060.jpg (71.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3061.jpg (75.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 27-06-19, 05:53 PM

It’s 100% a fake.

The crown doesn’t have jewels it has outlines. The horse looks like Frankenstein and the seeding it’s typically repro.

I’ve never seen a genuine period badge with outlines for jewels. Interestingly however they do appear in Martin Marsh’s catalogue of repro badges.

I would suggest the engraver who made these fake dies was either working from a poor picture or photocopy and only able to make out the shape of the jewels rather than appreciating the should have volume! Either that or it was a deliberate error.

Here it is, number 7 and yours for £4.50 only at 2006 prices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23C4587B-EBA3-439F-B89F-D2DCFA2C34E6.jpg (36.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg E0F946D4-5C82-48CA-B6D1-1923126A9B0C.jpg (11.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 27-06-19, 07:14 PM

As much as £4.50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
It’s 100% a fake.

The crown doesn’t have jewels it has outlines. The horse looks like Frankenstein and the seeding it’s typically repro.

I’ve never seen a genuine period badge with outlines for jewels. Interestingly however they do appear in Martin Marsh’s catalogue of repro badges.

I would suggest the engraver who made these fake dies was either working from a poor picture or photocopy and only able to make out the shape of the jewels rather than appreciating the should have volume! Either that or it was a deliberate error.

Here it is, number 7 and yours for £4.50 only at 2006 prices.
Old 27-06-19, 07:21 PM

The original badges were manufactured using different materials and methods and were far better in terms of just basic quality, that example is very crude and lacks any detail whatsoever, it is also the wrong colour, die cast badges were silver/gilt in those days.

Quote:
Thanks Frank, I must admit I had just assumed it was ok - but, as a novice, can I ask what it is that makes you think it is a fake?

Owen
Old 28-06-19, 12:20 AM

Unhappy

Well, thank you everyone, I was well and truly duped on this one. But, entirely my fault, for buying with blind faith. Lesson learned.

Owen
Old 28-06-19, 11:08 AM

Happy for the Mods to move this to the appropriate thread on copies, re-strikes, fakes and etc.

Thanks,

Owen
Old 28-06-19, 05:10 PM

One thing being overlooked and very obvious, how many die cast bronze QVC badges actually exist?
Old 29-06-19, 10:25 PM

Notwithstanding the question being asked by Keith, can I just ask - is it a 'reproduction' of the Officer's badge? Assuming so, as it is not bi-metallic.

Owen
Old 30-06-19, 07:34 AM

I certainly did not overlook that, as I said in post 9, it is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
One thing being overlooked and very obvious, how many die cast bronze QVC badges actually exist?
Old 30-06-19, 07:35 AM

It is completely spurious.

Quote:
Notwithstanding the question being asked by Keith, can I just ask - is it a 'reproduction' of the Officer's badge? Assuming so, as it is not bi-metallic.

Owen