British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-15, 11:27 AM

Default Rupert Lane Barracks - St Domingo House Barracks Everton,Liverpool.

Thought this may be of interest to some but also if anyone else can help with any information it would be appreciated,
Whilst searching for old images of badges I came across two Barracks that I had not heard of before which where situated in Everton, Liverpool.
The first is Rupert Lane Cavalry Barracks built c.1830
I have found ref to various units being based there (4th Dragoon Guards 1871, 7th Hussars 1875 and the 18th Hussars 1881) but not much else other than there was a Royal Lancs Artillery Militia Storehouse also within the site.
I believe that the barracks fell out of use in the late 19th C. and was converted to housing and by 1930 was demolished and turned into a recreation ground.
The R.L. Artillery Militia HQ moving to Seaforth Barracks about 1882 before it became the KLR Depot in 1910
I also found ref to an Infantry Barracks at St. Domingo House which was purchased by the Government with adjoining acreage about 1803 but was found to be unfit for purpose by 1813, I have found ref. that the 2nd Royal Lancs Militia had Storage at this site c.1870 though. I am hoping if anyone knows of any further use of St.Domingo House.
Another interesting search I found was on this site which does list the resident Bn's at Salford Infantry Barracks, Regent Road, where the 8th of Foot (KLR) spent a few tours. http://salford-infantry-barracks-regent-road.html
Cheers
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (47.5 KB, 53 views)
Old 15-08-15, 11:29 AM

Ruperts Lane Barracks c.1910
After conversion to public housing, an old barrack building can be seen on the right
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (83.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 15-08-15, 01:18 PM

Paul,

Sorry I cannot help but an interesting thread.

Very sad that so many historic buildings were demolished before the listing of buildings was introduced. The Militia Barracks in Mold, a most attractive building was demolished in the 1960`s. I believe the Denbighshire Militia Barracks in Wrexham is now a Museum.

The Barracks of the 2nd Cheshire Militia in Macclesfield have been converted into flats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrac...field,_England

I keep on looking out for a picture of Windsor Barracks which was in Spekeland Street but with no success so far.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-08-15, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Thought this may be of interest to some but also if anyone else can help with any information it would be appreciated,
Whilst searching for old images of badges I came across two Barracks that I had not heard of before which where situated in Everton, Liverpool.
I have found ref to various units being based there (4th Dragoon Guards 1871, 7th Hussars 1875 and the 18th Hussars 1881) but not much else other than there was a Royal Lancs Artillery Militia Storehouse also within the site.
I believe that the barracks fell out of use in the late 19th C. and was converted to housing and by 1930 was demolished and turned into a recreation ground.
The R.L. Artillery Militia HQ moving to Seaforth Barracks about 1882 before it became the KLR Depot in 1910
I also found ref to an Infantry Barracks at St. Domingo House which was purchased by the Government with adjoining acreage about 1803 but was found to be unfit for purpose by 1813, I have found ref. that the 2nd Royal Lancs Militia had Storage at this site c.1870 though. I am hoping if anyone knows of any further use of St.Domingo House.
Another interesting search I found was on this site which does list the resident Bn's at Salford Infantry Barracks, Regent Road, where the 8th of Foot (KLR) spent a few tours. http://salford-infantry-barracks-regent-road.html
Cheers
Paul
Paul,

I spent many happy hours as a kid playing with my mates on Rupert Lane rec. If you went to the western side of it (the River Mersey side), there was a long drop (over a huge old sandstone wall) down onto Everton Terrace. The top of the wall was mounted with the usual dark green (Corporation colours) painted railings. If you went down onto Everton Terrace itself you could see that the wall stretched along the entire length of the western side of the rec. I remember thinking at the time that it was old, very old and was in all probability in situ long before the recreation ground itself. Your information about the Barracks is new to me. But looking at the photo/drawing I can easily picture in my mind the configuration of the road and the positioning of the rec. ground with its ornate entrance gate in the place of the barracks building.

I recently looked at Google maps and was dismayed to see that Rupert Lane and indeed Everton Terrace are no more. Both have been incorporated into the new (or not so new) Everton Park. Sorry not to have been able to give you any information about the Barracks as such, but it was an opportunity to let my mind wander back to the Liverpool of the 1950's and those always sunny, warm (or so it seemed) carefree days of my childhood.

Dave.
Old 16-08-15, 06:29 AM

One of the few remaining buildings in Liverpool with an old military connection is the former drill hall of the 9th Kings in Everton Road:

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.c...regiments.html

Although in terrible condition what a great thing it would be if it could be repaired and converted into a Museum for the Liverpool Volunteers and Territorial units ( and most importantly the members of those units who made such great sacrifices ) almost all of which no longer exist.

You could then keep the new Museum at the Pier Head for the touchy feely displays that Museums nowadays seem to favour.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-08-15, 07:55 AM

Glad I could raise up some memories Dave,
My Fathers family had 2 flats in St Thomas Whites Gardens (also demolished)built on where St. Domingo House used to stand. I remember vaguely as a child visiting my paternal GG and walking to a park (rec) which may have been the one and same.
Yes Peter it is a shame so many historic places of military interest have disappeared, I find it strange that over recent years despite government saying they want to increase the Reserve(TA) numbers they go about closing and selling off these sites and disbanding units, Liverpool Scottish for example, surely this cannot be good for recruitment.
I am still surprised the Grange on Edge Lane is still much as it was since being sold, I regularly drive past there and it seems to be something different every time I do, it is currently a dance school.
Paul
Old 16-08-15, 09:44 AM

Paul,

As you probably know the MOD treated the Liverpool Scottish Museum very badly, they gave the Museum accommodation at The Grange after Score Lane closed, although without any formal tenancy. The Museum Trust then spent a great deal of time and money creating the best/most friendly Museum I have ever visited.

The MOD then decided to sell the whole of The Grange ( in one auction lot ) including the parts occupied by the Liverpool Scottish Museum and Liverpool Scottish Cadets.

The purchaser seemed happy to have the Scottish in part of the building for some time but eventually said that he wanted to develop the whole site and in effect evicted the Museum and Cadets.

What really annoys me is that the redevelopment never took place and like you, every time I go past the building some one else is in it and the Liverpool Scottish Museum could still have been there.

Peter

Old 06-12-16, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Cheers
Paul
It seems that before the Rupert Lane Cavalry barracks was built, one or two troops of cavalry were also based in St Domingo House. This was at a time when cavalry regiments were sent to a region and their sub-units (Troops) dispersed to various small barracks in the surrounding area to act in support of the civil powers, e.g. in 1807 the 4th Dragoon Guards had their HQ in Brook Rd Cavalry Bks, Birmingham, 1 Troop in Hulme Bks, Manchester, 1 Troop in St Domingo House, Liverpool, 2 Troops in Nottingham, 1 Troop in Chester, 1 Troop in Warrington and 1 Troop in Coventry. This was at a time of great industrial unrest and rioting with the mounted troops acting as police.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-12-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-12-16, 04:04 PM

Great thread.
Tony.
Old 06-12-16, 04:23 PM

The mention of Hume Barracks in Manchester is interesting:

http://manchesterhistory.net/manches...ebarracks.html

and:

http://www.salford.ac.uk/built-envir...o-be-excavated

I recall the proposed excavation of the site but don't know if it actually took place and if it did, if any interesting artefacts were found.

P.B.

Old 17-07-19, 01:04 AM

Default Rupert Lane Barracks, Everton

Whilst searching for family I came across the 1871 census for John Lewis and after some searching identified the address as "Barracks, St. Domingo House, Everton. He was listed as Staff Sergeant, Chelsea Pensioner, and was there with his 2nd wife, Bridget, and 4 children. John Lewis was born in 1825 in Ireland and by 1856 was a Drum Major in the 10th Regiment (? of Foot) based in Dinapore, Bengal, India. There he married his first wife, Elizabeth Douglas, a direct ancestor of mine, in Feb 1856. They had one child who died aged only 1. Several other military families also lived in the Barracks at the time of this Census, but by 1881, John Lewis and his rapidly increasing family have moved to Herschel Street in Everton.
I hope this adds a little to the use and history of this place in Rupert Street.

Robin