British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum  

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20-07-19, 10:30 PM
yorkstone's Avatar
yorkstone yorkstone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 577
Default 9th Batn HLI Glasgo Highlanders

9th Battalion HLI Glasgow Highlanders picked this up this week it appears original it has a stout pin and safety chain attachment to the rear.

Is this adaptation for changing from Different head gear or just for Sweetheart badge purposes.

I have come across the pin adaptation for Regimental purposes before and was wondering if forum members had any thoughts.

Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D677BA30-6327-4358-B866-1B675ADC9DB9.jpg (117.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 699715A5-7A3D-4A3A-9800-FC61E4C07EA5.jpg (117.5 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-07-19, 12:23 AM
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 883
Default

Besides officer badges, it is my belief that some badges were made with brooch fittings at the preference of some soldiers. I have several older Scottish OR badges with this type of fitting. It obviated the need for a split pin and made removal for polishing much easier.
Some, like the London Scottish and Tyneside Scottish are commonly found with these brooch fittings.

CB
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-07-19, 03:54 PM
Alex Rice Alex Rice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,063
Default

Althoiugh I agree with what CB has said, I would think this has been adapted as a sweetheart brooch. The little ring at the base of the badge is typical of the fitting for a safety chain on a sweetheart brooch to stop it from being lost if the brooch fitting comes loose.
Cheers,
Alex
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-07-19, 06:46 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,758
Default

I don't think that I have ever seen a rankers Tyneside Scottish from it's manufacturer with a pin like the example shown in the original post.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Besides officer badges, it is my belief that some badges were made with brooch fittings at the preference of some soldiers. I have several older Scottish OR badges with this type of fitting. It obviated the need for a split pin and made removal for polishing much easier.
Some, like the London Scottish and Tyneside Scottish are commonly found with these brooch fittings.

CB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-07-19, 07:29 PM
yorkstone's Avatar
yorkstone yorkstone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 577
Default

Thank you alll for your comments it’s a nice badge, but would make a mighty big sweetheart’s badge.

A good example for the collection though so happy to have acquired it.

Regards to all

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-07-19, 04:13 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,758
Default

It would certainly make a most unusual sweetheart badge for that very reason!


Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Thank you alll for your comments it’s a nice badge, but would make a mighty big sweetheart’s badge.

A good example for the collection though so happy to have acquired it.

Regards to all

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-07-19, 08:22 PM
cbuehler cbuehler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I don't think that I have ever seen a rankers Tyneside Scottish from it's manufacturer with a pin like the example shown in the original post.
Here is mine. I have seen others as well. Cheers, CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8597.JPG (113.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8598.jpg (48.0 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-07-19, 09:40 PM
yorkstone's Avatar
yorkstone yorkstone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Staffordshire
Posts: 577
Default

CB and here is my example also though a much stronger pin than my HLI badge and almost the twin of yours

Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1DF7F1F0-FEBD-4524-8DEA-68BF2F7336C3.jpg (104.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 21996529-684C-40B9-BA47-1FEA1F793530.jpg (97.2 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-07-19, 10:08 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,758
Default

Perfectly normal, but, very different than the pin in the original post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Here is mine. I have seen others as well. Cheers, CB
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-07-19, 10:29 PM
Tinto's Avatar
Tinto Tinto is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gisborne, New Zealand
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
It would certainly make a most unusual sweetheart badge for that very reason!
I remember a lady who proudly wore a silver Black Watch cap badge. It was well polished and had very few details.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-07-19, 04:20 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,758
Default

would think she certainly got noticed, still, certainly cheaper than buying a silver or gold brooch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
I remember a lady who proudly wore a silver Black Watch cap badge. It was well polished and had very few details.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.