British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-10-11, 09:23 AM

Athletes Volunteer Force.jpg

What may be unknown among the badge collecting fraternity is that there were three phases to all of this;- pre-VTC, which was the formation of ad-hoc units under varying titles throughout the UK, with no central administration; The VTC, which brought all of those units together under the "Central Association of Volunteer Training Corps", but with no official recognition; post-VTC, which saw official recognition by the War Office in 1916 and the formation of the Volunteer Force and the new Volunteer Regiments.

Attached is a photo of an Athletes V.F. unit, the senior officers wearing the ovel badge in white enamel. Blue enamanel was the most common colour and there was also a red enamel version. The AVF in general was absorbed into the VTC and I do have a copy of it's formation taken from one of our local newspapers, which included the formation of units in several counties from all types of "Athlete".
Old 18-10-11, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 51276

What may be unknown among the badge collecting fraternity is that there were three phases to all of this;- pre-VTC, which was the formation of ad-hoc units under varying titles throughout the UK, with no central administration; The VTC, which brought all of those units together under the "Central Association of Volunteer Training Corps", but with no official recognition; post-VTC, which saw official recognition by the War Office in 1916 and the formation of the Volunteer Force and the new Volunteer Regiments.

Attached is a photo of an Athletes V.F. unit, the senior officers wearing the ovel badge in white enamel. Blue enamanel was the most common colour and there was also a red enamel version. The AVF in general was absorbed into the VTC and I do have a copy of it's formation taken from one of our local newspapers, which included the formation of units in several counties from all types of "Athlete".
Thanks for this Graham, very interesting. I think it has been said before; a sadly under researched area, with scant published information.

I've often considered collecting to this area, but it's way out of range for now, and a vast and time consuming area. In the meantime I'll satisfy my growing curiosity with what crops up on here, and stick to reading what's available

That said, I couldn't resist having a go at two Bosleys items in the last sale to Leeds and Harrogate. Too close to home to leave alone..... I had heard of the Leeds Unit, but not the Harrogate one.

Best, Neil