British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-08, 11:18 PM

Default 2nd Pattern Rising Sun - circa 1901

2nd Pattern Rising Sun hat badge - circa 1901

Worn by the Australian Commonwealth Horse.

Old 19-09-15, 08:49 AM

hi guys
does anyone know why there were 2 distinct finishes to this badge? was there a reason for standard brass and the oxy with polished highlights.
cossum also says there was a whitemetal version (worn to the coronation?). anyone seen one?
bc

c/o AWM
Australian Commonwealth Horse (2nd pattern) oxidised brass hat badge with Rising Sun pattern rays, curved 'AUSTRALIA' over a tudor crown, and underneath a scroll with 'COMMONWEALTH HORSE'. The words on the badge have been highlighted by rubbing back the oxidisation to show the brighter brass. Badge was mounted on dark green cloth, edged with white stem stitch embroidery, cut in the pattern of a five petalled tudor rose. Badges with this cloth backing were worn by members of the Australian Commonwealth Horse selected to attend the coronation of Edward VII in London in 1902.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1930.jpg (47.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 21-09-15, 06:01 AM

Both very lovely badges, slick mick and BC.

[QUOTE=badgecollector;

c/o AWM
Australian Commonwealth Horse (2nd pattern) oxidised brass hat badge with Rising Sun pattern rays, curved 'AUSTRALIA' over a tudor crown, and underneath a scroll with 'COMMONWEALTH HORSE'. The words on the badge have been highlighted by rubbing back the oxidisation to show the brighter brass. Badge was mounted on dark green cloth, edged with white stem stitch embroidery, cut in the pattern of a five petalled tudor rose. Badges with this cloth backing were worn by members of the Australian Commonwealth Horse selected to attend the coronation of Edward VII in London in 1902.[/QUOTE]

It is little wonder that there is frequently controversy as to the description of some some badges.

The AWM does, indeed, in a couple of places, describe this badge as having the word "AUSTRALIA" curved above the crown but all such badges that I have seen, in my limited experience, the word is actually "AUSTRALIAN".

I guess no one is infallible.

Donny B.

Last edited by Donny B.; 21-09-15 at 07:59 AM.
Old 21-09-15, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi guys
does anyone know why there were 2 distinct finishes to this badge? was there a reason for standard brass and the oxy with polished highlights.
cossum also says there was a whitemetal version (worn to the coronation?). anyone seen one?
bc.

I must say that I have never been fortunate enough to see an example of this badge in white metal but I guess they must have been around......and for the coronation, as you say.

If we go to https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P10303.001 (I hope) there is wonderful hand tinted photo of Cpl Thomas Lackey Cunningham Shields in his full dress Coronation Contingent uniform, with a very clear image of his hat with its badge and the description "His hat displays the whitemetal Rising Sun badge fixed to a green cloth backing".

I couldn't help wondering if the green tint on the emu feathers is correct or purely artistic licence.

Donny B.
Old 21-09-15, 06:55 AM

thanks donny
well there you go. just as i was starting to doubt the whitemetal 2nd pattern this great pic turns up, thanks to you.
got to love the whole outfit. they must have looked pretty smart. and the meaning for the green backing for the collars and hat badge (and feathers)?
bc