British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-21, 09:09 AM

Default Jelly Belly Naval Tailor & Outfitter

In the early 1900's Sin Jelly Belly operated a Naval Tailors and Outfitters in Wei Hai Wei and Shanghai. His naval buttons were always back-marked with the either *Jelly Belly* Wei-Hai-Wei or *Jelly Belly* Shanghai. Sadly he died in 1920. Does anyone have any naval buttons with his back-mark in their collections ? I would like to know which particular Navy buttons you have. I have attached a photo of the two unusual back-marks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250999592_10225841716379388_8454331884699956462_n.jpg (47.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 13-11-21, 10:57 PM

Default Jelly Belly Buttons

Fascinating buttons, the construction of Wei Hai Wei one looks like a typical Birmingham made button.
Old 14-11-21, 05:48 PM

Hi!

I've got some of his buttons too. It's a fascinating story! Jelly Belly got his name because he was tremendously fat. After his death his son - Jelly Belly Junior - took over the business. He was as large as his father.

He would make a naval officers uniform in a day! But I know he used to sometimes have problems with getting his payments. RN oficers would write him a cheque for their purchases which he would submit to the local bank. Eventually the cheques would reach the purchasers bank in the UK and when they saw who the cheque was made out to they would often refuse to honour it - believing it was a joke!

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 15-11-21, 03:31 PM

Default Jelly Belly

Here are images of the Jelly Belly Naval Outfitters in both Wei Hai Wei and Shanghai. The first image is the branch in Wei Hai Wei and the second is Shanghai. I think Jelly Belly Junior relocated the business to Shanghai after the British returned Wei Hai Wei to China in 1930.

Pete

Jelly Belly Wei Hai Wei.jpg

Jelly Belly Shanghai.jpg
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II
Old 15-11-21, 03:42 PM

Here's a better picture of Sin Jelly Bellys shop in Wei Hai Wei - I knew I had one somewhere!

Pete

Sin Jelly Belly.jpg
Old 16-11-21, 08:52 AM

Great pictures.

If anyone comes across any Jelly Belly buttons I would be interested in purchasing them.

hkbuttonman