British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-03-24, 12:01 PM

Default Sweethearts, New Additions.

Hi all, The sweetheart collection is gradually getting a bit bigger, up to now I have tried to concentrate on maker marked badges that are either hallmarked silver or stamped sterling. I have so far acquired pieces by Pearce & Thompson (P&T), Charles Usher (CU), Thomas Lynton Mott (TLM), William James Dingley (WJD) and Arthur Fenwick (AF). There are also a couple of bits that are not silver by JR Gaunt, the Lincolnshire piece is, I think, a purpose made sweetheart, and the little Edward VII RE item, some sort of lapel badge, perhaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC15375.jpg (85.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15376.jpg (86.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15377.jpg (89.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15378.jpg (85.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15379.jpg (84.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg SDC15380.jpg (81.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-03-24, 06:43 PM

Default Sweetheart badges

I started to collect badges in about 1943 when I was aged almost 6, I lived in Mitcham Surrey and ended up with badges that were British, American, South african, Polish, and so many other countries because every time I saw a soldier sailor or airman in uniform I would ask for one of his or her badges and I ended up with hundreds of badges by the end of WW2 and when I migrated with my parents to Australia in 1948 they were the only things I brought with me because on the ship to migrate we were only allowed to bring so many trunks and suitcases, so I had to leave my big collection of parts of german bombs behind with a friend. I still have lots of badges, sold most of them years ago, but have a sweetheart badge from London Scottish Regiment, turtle shell with silver and hallmarked, rifle with Royal Artillery badge on it silver rifle and gold artillery badge, also hallmarked, and a collar badge of the Huntingdonshire Regiment which was amalgamated with the Surreys in about 1882, and will sell them if anybody is interested. I can be reached via this site or eblizbeth9@gmail.com and will send photos of those three badges if wanted. Also still have other badges and formation signs mostly Australian, I no longer collect badges, to old to collect anything now
Old 09-03-24, 07:01 PM

That sounds like an interesting life you've led.

(Nice sweetheart badges on this thread).
Old 10-03-24, 12:19 PM

Hello Brian, You certainly did start badge collecting a bit before me, although I don't think you're ever too old, just as long as you can still see 'em! I'll be needing 80 candles on my next birthday cake, and I'm pretty sure there's a few forum members who could give me a year or two! Anyhow, your sweethearts sound quite nice, although perhaps not quite what I'm looking for, you could list them in the forum classified section, there are a few sweetheart collectors here, as I'm sure you know.