British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-22, 01:49 PM

Smile ASC officers badges

As I am sorting through my ASC officers badges I thought I would post these three examples apparently all made by Firmin from the plaques on the reverse of the OSD and the badge with the repaired slider.

There is a normal badge with bronze finish, a silver and gold gilt with a pin fastening, the silver and gilt finish is alas worn away and an OSD which has had the blades cut off or broken and a slider fixed with an horrendous amount of lead solder, possibly a field repair or repaired by a collector at a later date.

Thoughts welcome on these badges.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030896.jpg (88.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1030898.jpg (54.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1030899.jpg (76.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 05-01-22 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-01-22, 04:16 PM

They are the 1901 to 1911 version as you probably know Rob. The slidered conversion is interesting, is it gilding metal?

I have a couple of examples of the gilt/silver officer's badge, one on blades and the other on a single loop and single blade - north and south.

Mark
Old 05-01-22, 05:12 PM

The badge with the slider was gilt at some time. The slider looks like a more recent type seen on fakes, and is not an old fix.
I would also surmise that the badge with brooch fitting is an alteration as well; originally it would likely have had lugs.

CB
Old 05-01-22, 07:23 PM

Default ASC officers badges

Thanks for your comments chaps, the badge with the slider is a poor repair IMO, as to whether the slider is the type on fakes I am not sure, the badge may of course be an OSD with the bronze finish cleaned off.

The badge with the brooch fitting I am leaving as is, the brooch is not original I know but it is a means of fixing.

Rob
Old 06-01-22, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Thanks for your comments chaps, the badge with the slider is a poor repair IMO, as to whether the slider is the type on fakes I am not sure, the badge may of course be an OSD with the bronze finish cleaned off.

The badge with the brooch fitting I am leaving as is, the brooch is not original I know but it is a means of fixing.

Rob
I agree, more likely to be a worn off bronze finish on the slidered badge. Interestingly on examples of these two part bronzed badges (and also the later 1911-18 badge) where the bronzing has gone, the central device I've noticed seems to 'age' to a different colour than the star. The result being a badge with a very attractive two tone brass appearance. Similar in effect to the RAPC gilding/brass badge produced in WWII. I'm sure purists may prefer a badge with the bronze finish intact, but they do stand out nicely in a collection.

Last edited by dubaiguy; 06-01-22 at 02:49 PM.