British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-03-20, 01:57 PM

Default 'Mystery X Badge'

I'm being a bit cheeky here and sharing Tim's post form the 'What is It' section, on the off chance that any of the Gurkha collectors missed it. So, pure theft here but in a good cause.

"Some years ago I purchased the badge on the left from a dealer in Hong Kong. It was listed as a "bush hat" badge to the 10th Gurkhas ( unissued ). I was never entirely convinced it was for a bush hat or indeed if it was even 10GR, however a recent correspondence with a retired Gurkha officer revealed the truth. It's a "colours" badge worn on the arm of the tracksuit. He very kindly sent me his own one ( pictured on the right) awarded for cross country running in 1969. Apparently the custom was a long standing one in both battalions. Tim [AKA 'GurkhaRifles']
Attached Thumbnails"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7123.jpg (58.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-03-20, 06:49 PM

Thank you, Peter. Good to know.
While on the subject of 'X' badges, the 10th Baluch Regiment also wore a black embroidered X on a khaki backing as a slip-on FS shoulder title during WW2.
Old 09-03-20, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koi_hai View Post
While on the subject of 'X' badges, the 10th Baluch Regiment also wore a black embroidered X on a khaki backing as a slip-on FS shoulder title during WW2.
Also good to know! Thanks.
Old 09-03-20, 03:45 PM

I thought you'd find interesting his comments on bush hats in the 10GR.

"You mentioned badges for jungle hats. They were all very basic when I served. 2/10 GR had a white cross front and rear. Inside was a company colour band which was useful if you wanted to produce a simplified tactics demo as you could borrow different hats from round the Bn. 1/10GR had a white circle front and back, the rear one containing the company colour. The idea was to tempt the enemy to take a head shot which he’d probably miss! When we amalgamated we went for a black cross front and rear and then for night ops turn the hat inside out for white crosses. Sorry I don’t have a jungle hat left. I might say I much preferred the old green cotton OG uniforms for the jungle as the 1970s DPM were an artificial fabric which was stronger but far too hot"
Old 09-03-20, 06:02 PM

Default white cross

Like this.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-03-20, 09:44 AM

An example of the 10th Baluch slip-on title.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X So title.jpg (49.9 KB, 6 views)