British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-14, 08:18 PM

Default Shropshire L.I.

Hi
Just a querie on these patches I got in an auction lot recently. Cant find much info relating to them at all. I am not really a patch collector!

The KSLI came off a 1940 pattern BD. I bought a group from the same man in auction, they were off already but the remaining sewing threads match thise left on the bd. I cant seem to find any reference to the colour combination, everything KSLI I have found is standard white lettering in red background.

Nor can I find much reference to value of the 212 independent infantry brigade patches. They dont seem to come up for sale on ebay very often, are they rare ?

Cant find any reference anywhere for the DEVON patches ?

I also had with it this envelope with contents. The red and green strips are sewn together. Do you think this is arm of service stripe before sewing onto the arm ? If so, what would the red/green represent ? Same colours as the shoulder flash ? (Light infantry?)

Thanks, Richard.

Old 15-05-14, 01:27 PM

Hi
Several answers for you:
Some regiments used their own unofficial titles in regimental colours
The red/green arm of service is for Pioneer Corps, the soldier might have transfered, although in this case, if the colour matches the shoulder titles you have it might be a battalion flash.
The tulip badge was originally worn by Lincolnshire County Division, later worn by 212 Ind Inf Bgd when the county divisions were broken up. 6KSLI were in the count div as part of 204Bgd. It is one of the harder to find patches but they do turn up.
The Devon patches look like WVS

Hope this is of help
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 15-05-14, 09:49 PM

Thanks.
I did have someone say it may be a 6th Battalion flash and that is was peculiar to them. Just checked the Gem diary that came with the group to Pte.Jones and there are 2 entries giving his address at different times in 10th and 12th platoons 6th KSLI.
The stripes do match in colour so I was thingking it may be a battalion thing to show they were infantry, but light infantry. Or another thought was that 10/12th platoon was the pioneer platoon of the Support company ??
Thanks for the other info.
Rich
Old 16-05-14, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
Hi
Just a querie on these patches I got in an auction lot recently. Cant find much info relating to them at all. I am not really a patch collector!

The KSLI came off a 1940 pattern BD. I bought a group from the same man in auction, they were off already but the remaining sewing threads match thise left on the bd. I cant seem to find any reference to the colour combination, everything KSLI I have found is standard white lettering in red background.

Nor can I find much reference to value of the 212 independent infantry brigade patches. They dont seem to come up for sale on ebay very often, are they rare ?

Cant find any reference anywhere for the DEVON patches ?

I also had with it this envelope with contents. The red and green strips are sewn together. Do you think this is arm of service stripe before sewing onto the arm ? If so, what would the red/green represent ? Same colours as the shoulder flash ? (Light infantry?)

Thanks, Richard.

The attachments to this original post both lead me to the homepage of a Wehrmacht Awards site. Could you please re-post the LI images you were asking about? Thanks. Mike
Old 16-05-14, 07:52 AM

I am sure I have answered this on another forum.

Marc
Old 16-05-14, 07:40 PM

These are the correct images I am asking about. I pulled the image links from the thread I started there.
Mark, you did answer on WAF, thanks, just casting the net a little wider!
Richard