British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-07-10, 12:32 PM

Default Scots Guards???

Just found this forum , i usually collect german items. But after i found a button in the ground at a petrol station, just outside of Hamburg. I have been intersted in dating the button. Hollow Brass button , the royal scots or scots guards. More than likely WW2 , no maker, just 4 holes at the rear(n,e,s,w) and 4 wavy lines with a dot under each dip.
Old 26-07-10, 05:01 PM

I must say I have never come across a button with a back like this one before, I wonder if anyone else has ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-07-10, 07:38 PM

Me neither, that´s why i posted it.! Maybe it´s an earlier model, just a thought...!!!

Nemo me impune lacessit is the Latin motto of the Order of the Thistle and of three Scottish regiments of the British Army.[1] The motto also appears, in conjunction with the collar of the Order of the Thistle, in later versions of the Royal coat of arms of the Kingdom of Scotland and subsequently in the version of the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom used in Scotland. It is often translated as No one attacks me with impunity, or rendered in Scots as Wha daur meddle wi' me?[2] ("Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh" in Scottish Gaelic). It is also alternatively translated into English as No one can harm me unpunished.
Old 03-07-19, 01:29 PM

Can anyone help with this button. Obviously post 1901 having kings crown

Last edited by lammy; 03-07-19 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 03:05 PM

Hi,

When issued No4 dress (warm weather service dress) I was given a set of rings and, rather than sewing the buttons on, you push them through a hole in the material and loop the rings through the back of the button to keep them in place. This looks very similar.

Regards

Mike
Old 03-07-19, 04:20 PM

The design is for the "Scots Guards" and possibly for an Officer due to the unusual back mark.

Marc
Old 04-07-19, 04:12 PM

It's a key ring. That I added when I found it. It's a sew on button I would imagine.
Old 05-07-19, 11:45 AM

You often find replated buttons having holes , usually two, drilled into the back to allow the solution to drain out and not get trapped inside.
Old 05-07-19, 03:33 PM

Hi

I while back a friend of mine sold a (he thinks) a Lancers button that had a German backmark and the general thought was it was a post war order filled by a german manufacturer as it had German Marks on the back so maybe this was made on the continent post war before 1952

T