British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-12-18, 04:09 PM

Default Essex Regiment waistbelt clasps

Hello all, looking for help from Essex collectors, have you ever come across these two clasps before.

A 44th Fooot clasp but with Roman numerals rather than the more normal Arabic 44. I assume it must pre-date the 44th.

A Post 1881 Essex clasp but with acanthus scroll ends rather than the special pattern Acorn ends. Its of superior quality, better than others I have with the Acorn ends. I assume it must have only been worn briefly 1881-1882?.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 30-05-19, 01:30 PM

Hi Jeff,

As per my PM this is not an area I know anything about however I have a contact who worked at and with the Essex Regiment museum for over two decades and he has provide some thoughts and comment.

For the first, he has never seen this pattern worn by the 44th Foot. He asks do the benchmarks to the rear match? If not, he believes it likely the they are a non-matched pair with the XLIV element probably being for the 44th Bengal Native Infantry.

For the second the usual pattern as you (and Ryan) state is with the Acorn ends. Ryan mentions several Regiments (although not specifically Essex Regt) with short-lived WBCs for the 1881 – 82 dates so that is supportive thought not conclusive of your suggestion.

Ryan also mentions a KC pattern not seen for the Essex. Do you have one in your collection? There is a suggestion that they do in fact exist.

And on that, would it be possible to post photos of the Essex WBCs you do have. My source (and I!) would be very interest to see the different variants.
Old 30-05-19, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the reply,

The XLIV is matching, and the gilt patina and wear are matching as well, so 100% sure its correct. So even your friend has never seen one I can only assume it was short lived.

So just a theory on the pre acorn ends, but I'd agree 1881-82 is the most likely, I have never seen another example.

I have seen one example of the Kings crown Essex clasp, sold in 2017, although I never handled it, it was clear that the Kings Crown was added. Possibly a collar crown. I couldn't say if it was period, but my gut says it was.

I don't have many Essex clasps sadly, but they are shown here,
http://jeffreyhayes.com/wbc/2017/05/...ssex-regiment/

Thanks again for the input and thoughts.