British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-10-20, 04:32 PM

Default S.W.B. and London Irish

Hi can I grab your opinions on these just to confirm my suspicions, both copies, slider on SWB Crown on the 18th centre jewels all to the right, cant tell from photos but in the hand its not so nice!
Many thanks Billy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201006_172008-1.jpg (91.0 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20201006_172020-1.jpg (89.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg 20201006_172035-1.jpg (59.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20201006_172055-1.jpg (54.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 07-10-20, 05:27 AM

Any thoughts on these cheers billy
Old 07-10-20, 06:11 AM

Billy, I can only comment on 1916 GM SWB. The head and plinth are a bit blurry but the badge looks good from what I can see. I’ll be blunt, this SWB variant is not a good looking badge! The face detail isn’t sharp (actually it’s kind of crappy) and the slider isn’t what we usually expect for a Great War period badge, but if it’s the variant I think it is, from what I can see, then the badge is OK. I’ll dig around in my files and post some pictures later today or this evening.

Jay
Old 07-10-20, 07:23 PM

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...t=London+Irish
Have a read of this Billy, great work by JT, I think your London Irish badge is fine mate. I'll dig mine out to show you,
Wilf
Old 07-10-20, 07:32 PM

Here's mine Billy, same as yours and the one Andy P showed in the old thread, only mine is a bit worn!!
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3928.jpg (65.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3927.jpg (81.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3926.jpg (83.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-10-20, 08:40 PM

Thanks, the London Irish - Jewels look to be more "Right" on the Crown Centre, and Orb and upper Cross iffy so had doubts, Endici has a similar badge on Offer, so was unsure of both! To be Honest!

The SWB well, like the front, and colouring, detail to the Sphinx isn't the best, but Slider is a possible concern in that looking from front the slider looks fresher, brighter than the rear, colouring looks fine but shape not what I was expecting? Am happy with it if it isn't a copy!

Thanks a lot as the 18th is different to others I have, all the best billy
Old 07-10-20, 10:42 PM

Billy, I agree with what you said about the aging on the front of the slider. However, it's hard to tell from the photo if the badge's aging was faked--doesn't look like it in the picture.

Attached are a couple pictures of the SWB variant that I mentioned in my earlier post that I think matches yours. Both badges I attached are from reliable sources. Also, I think Andy P may have posted about this SWB variant in an old thread.

Take a look at the SWB slider in Phil2M's 1916 GM economy album. His SWB is another good variant. Take a look at slider, as it's appearance is similar to yours and the 2 that I've attached (Phil's might a slight crimp, but am not sure--could just be a ding mark, too).

SWB F.jpgSWB R.jpg

IMG_1124.jpgIMG_1125.jpg
Old 08-10-20, 05:52 AM

Thanks for these images, I will take good photo's in Natural light over the weekend of the SWB, have had to take these just after getting home from work, light was poor!

Makes me feel easier, have had good badges from this bloke, but always that moment I haven't looked closely enough (this instance!) so my own fault, I love this hobby restrikes aside! You always come across a different example!

Thanks will get better Images! Billy
Old 08-10-20, 11:10 AM

I had doubts too when I first ran across this SWB variant—mainly the lousy head detail and the slider! This and a couple other good 1916 GM SWB economy badges are not good looking badges!

I love this hobby, too—always something new to learn!