British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-04-12, 11:32 PM

Default battle of spion kop

hi all,

found this.
its made by south africian tv about the battle of spion kop.i did not find it all for the boers but it gave a different view when you see the ground and hear what the boers wrote.need to see it all though

philip

ps love to there some day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58ej1krtsDM
Old 29-11-18, 04:54 PM

Hi Just found this link and found it so interesting. Having been to Spion Kop and seeing the battlefield for myself. A very moving sight it is to see the long trench where those young scouse boys fell is even after all these years is quite moving. These young boys fell so far from home and their mothers I am sure would never have seen their Graves. Photos 1,2 + 3 are at Spion Kop. no4 is the view looking towards Isandlwana, this is the view the Zulu Warriers saw of the British camp just before they fell on the encamped column. The British officers were so sure that the Zulu army was nowhere near to them they made the fatal error not to laager the camp. No 5 is Rorkes Drift The area is the place made famous by the film ie where the British soldiers fired volleys into the Zulus in Ranks. We were shocked at how small that area is in real life. The circle is the actual area where the Army Biscuit box`s were stacked. ( The filn was not shot at Rorkes Drift but at a place in the Drakensburg mountains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1183 (2).jpg (72.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1210 (2).jpg (91.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1214.jpg (78.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.jpg (44.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (99.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 29-11-18, 05:05 PM

One of my "collecting regrets" is being shown the QSA of a Lancashire Fusilier Spion Kop fatality by a corner shop stamps, books, medals and badges dealer but not being able to buy it as the dealer didn't want to sell it.
It was accompanied by a letter from the LF's CO advising the soldier's brother of his death.
Old 30-11-18, 02:48 PM
MarkGD

Phil, thanks for sharing, i have also been to Spion Kop, although i had no family members who were there, it is an eerie place. As Yorkie mentions the trench is a sight to behold, as is the memorial to the Boers which includes German & English names, located just off of the hill. The shape of the hill did not aid their defence, angles of sight plus the superior marksmanship of their enemy was the downfall. I was lucky enough to accompany a Buller descendant who confirmed the 'inner struggle' he had at the time, protecting his troops, despite what others have said about him. Happy to say i had five ancestors (including two brothers) who returned from separate regiments who fought at Colenso, Tuegla Heights, Paardeberg, Transvaal, the Relief of Mafeking & Ladysmith. Beautiful place that belies it's history. My best moment was standing on a stone at Colenso, which marked the individual gun locations of the battery at which one of my great uncle's fought. Regards Mark
Old 30-11-18, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGD View Post
Phil, thanks for sharing, i have also been to Spion Kop, although i had no family members who were there, it is an eerie place. As Yorkie mentions the trench is a sight to behold, as is the memorial to the Boers which includes German & English names, located just off of the hill. The shape of the hill did not aid their defence, angles of sight plus the superior marksmanship of their enemy was the downfall. I was lucky enough to accompany a Buller descendant who confirmed the 'inner struggle' he had at the time, protecting his troops, despite what others have said about him. Happy to say i had five ancestors (including two brothers) who returned from separate regiments who fought at Colenso, Tuegla Heights, Paardeberg, Transvaal, the Relief of Mafeking & Ladysmith. Beautiful place that belies it's history. My best moment was standing on a stone at Colenso, which marked the individual gun locations of the battery at which one of my great uncle's fought. Regards Mark

Thank you very much for sharing that Mark. Having visited all the places that you mentioned in South Africa. It is such a special country I just love it and can`t wait for my next visit. Just out of interest did you manage to get hold of a copy of "The Day of The Dead Moon" by David Rattray. A 5 Audio cd set. not about the Boer War but about the Anglo - Zulu War, just brilliant. David Rattray was a fantastic speaker. I was lucky enough to tour the Battlefields of Rorks Drift and Isandlwana with him. He also led us from his lodge down the Fugitives Trail to the Buffalo river where the Regimental colours were lost. A day I will never forget.
Old 01-12-18, 03:06 PM
MarkGD

Hi Yorkie, i didn't know of him, but on looking him up, i missed an opportunity, obviously a very knowledgeable guy. Happy to say i am back in April next year, just have to try and get some time to walk the fields again. Regards Mark