British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-11-20, 04:07 PM

I must admit to the Bosley badge being the 1st badge that I had noticed to lack the voiding between neck and wing. Never bid on one so not researched it. Mention of 2 versions new to me. Is this non voided version sometimes found with an oval makers tablet? Regards, Paul.

Last edited by wardog; 04-11-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-11-20, 10:17 PM

Every now and then I keep a picture of fakes of this particular badge, I've looked at them, 25 in total and not one them are non-voided between neck and wing.

Although this doesn't mean much in the great scheme of things, if the badge in the original post is genuine, I have yet to see a fake of it.

I believe the reason is that it is a fake, albeit, probably a rare/scarce fake and not yet copied.

Regards.

Brian
Old 06-11-20, 09:44 PM

All the GM badges in this thread are from the same die, the Gaunt die, as evident from the flaws on the scroll, most notably the flaw between L and E of ELEVENTH.

Both badges shown with plaques, posts #5 (unvoided) and #11 (voided), have genuine Gaunt plaques. As do these others...

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...8&postcount=11

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...2&postcount=18

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...17&postcount=1

Mine which recently returned from the menders (thanks magpie) is below.

I have not seen any evidence to support the re-use of the original die with this particular badge as they’re very scarce and do not show features commonly associated with restrikes such as excessive die wear or lack of reverse detail etc. What’s more the above badges all show signs of wear and age commensurate to the period, they are clearly die stamped and not cast copies.

Additionally that they all have original Gaunt plaques applied in the same position is again something I’ve not encountered before on any other reproduction badge en masse.

The scenario that we have true restrikes with period fixings and genuine Gaunt plaques that have all fallen into the hands of repro-ers and only utilised on this one badge is for me too fantastical.

Lastly if the unvoided badges are restrikes then both John Gaylor and Hugh King had and showed these repros in their books. Another scenario I find very improbable.

For me the weight of physical evidence here is the unvoided and voided Gaunt die badges are genuine.
Old 25-11-20, 09:49 AM

Another couple nice ones for comparison.

This is only the second badge I’ve seen with the lozenge plaque aside from Neil Pearce’s example (2nd link, post #18).
Old 25-11-20, 02:15 PM

Luke
I bought the non-voided badge with the knocked or slightly raised tail you show in post 15. I wasn't worried about the tail, I was more concerned about discovering the lozenge shaped Gaunt plate when it arrived.

That concern has since gone away. So for you here's another with the lozenge plate to add to the two you've already seen.

You excel at deductions from your forensic investigations, but as a blue-sky thought for you on this badge - lozenge plate coupled with the known die-flaw between the E and L appearing still quite small and undeveloped - see photo.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.jpg (48.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0611.jpg (30.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (42.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 25-11-20, 05:13 PM

Yum! Thanks for sharing Mark. I’d love a lozenge plaque example so should your concerns ever reappear I shall gladly alleviate you of the affliction .