British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-10-20, 04:54 PM

Default Non Voided Gaunt Para Badge

I have put together a comparison of the official sealed card badge with a silver example made by Gaunt (thanks to 'Silverwash').
Gaunt Comparison.jpg
As discussed in a previous thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...0&postcount=65, the two badges seem very similar. Although I see some differences at the base of the crown or with one of the hind leg. Despite these differences, I believe it is likely that Gaunt made the Para badge prototype.
It is difficult to tell from the sealed card pattern photo but even if the crown appears clearly voided, areas around the tail look solid. I have ‘whitened’ the voided areas in the photo to make them easily identifiable.

The WM Gaunt Para badge can easily be recognized with the famous die flaws that are found on the left hand side of the chute as well as on the left base of the crown. In the case of the sealed card badge (and the silver badge photo provided by 'Silverwash') no die flaws can be seen. Does it mean that WM Para badges made by Gaunt have been produced without these flaws?
We know that Gaunt silver badges can be found either with or without die flaws. Compare Silverwash’s badge with the one presented in O. Lock’s book p90.

It seems reasonable to assume it is also the case for the WM Gaunt Para badge. I would appreciate any insight on the subject.