British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-09, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I would be interested in examples.
Old 13-03-09, 07:04 PM

Bill, I may be on to something.Just spoke to someone in the costumes dept. and I may have access to TWO titles (? more). Will have to call back by the middle of the week to confirm. Will keep you posted.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-03-09, 08:05 PM

Default Regiment de la Chaudiere, British made shoulder title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Mike, Yes the titles in images 2 & 3 that you have imaged are what I believe to be the Canadian made first pattern. That backing is one of the characteristics of the pattern. This is one of the examples that contradict the rule about backing material and embroidery. Generally speaking, a backing that does not have the embroidery going through it is suspect of being repro. However, there are several titles that have backings over the embroidery that are not reproduction.
Hello Bill, Mike and Jo,
I would be interrested to know exactly how is made what's Bill presents to be the Canadian made first pattern? The shoulder title I have presented there looks like very much the title in the picture 2. I am quite sure mine is a WWII British made pattern. To compare I have presented below the Chaud title two other patch and title which are exactely made as the Chaudiere, with exactly the same style of embroidery and exactly the same black canvas material backing. The patch presented is a civilian one for the Scottish school Esdaile and the title is the unofficial pattern for the Hampshire Regiment. This pattern was worn during the WWII mostly by officers and sometimes by other ranks of the Regiment. J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chaud title front.jpg (69.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Chaud title back.jpg (60.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 13-03-09, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hello J-F, I have compared the title that you imaged with the one in my collection. They do not appear to be the same pattern title. The weight of the embroidery is quite different, with your pattern being much heavier. The shape of some letters is also different, and the colours are somewhat different, especially in the embroidered border.
This is not conclusive, but the source of my title strongly indicated that it was Canadian made.
A couple further observations. The methods of embroidery were not that different between Canada and the United Kingdom. Patterns that I have seen from Canadian archives, submitted by Canadian manufacturers to National Defence for approval would, if not identified as Canadian, be classified by collectors' as British made. Having said this, there is still room for more documentation. There is also the chance that the Canadian pieces were used as examples for subsequent orders placed in the UK.
Old 13-03-09, 11:58 PM

Hi Bill , J-F and Jo,

The 2 titles share many similarities but I think they are from a different manufacturer or run for the reasons Bill cited. It is remarkable the diversity in wartime titles we have seen posted for the Chauds thus far in this thread.

Jo...I too would definitely be interested in obtaining one of the titles used in the film production from the costume designer.

It will be interesting to see how the E-bay auction ends for the Canvas Title. If memory serves me correctly the last few Canvas titles have been offered by this vendor and the final prices have ranged from 115.00 to 130.00....too rich for my blood. He had a pair of Canvas (unmatched) that sold for approx. $230 US. If you have not yet seen Bill's post today in the Commons Section I recommend reading it... as it speaks wonderfully to the Prices being asked and realized in our hobby (or should I say addiction for some of us).

An Overall Observation: This forum and all the posts are such a valuable resource...it has helped me and I am sure many others grow and develop knowledge in areas of militaria collecting that might otherwise not have been investigated/researched. For me as a novice/intermediate collector (except maybe for Chaudiere items) I often felt nervous about asking questions for fear of ridicule by more experienced collectors...as such what I most of all really appreciate is the 'Civility' displayed by all the members who contribute here to each other...Thanks to all for that!

Best as always,
Mike

Last edited by chaudiere1944; 14-03-09 at 03:20 AM.
Old 14-03-09, 12:33 AM

Hi Mike, like I said in my previous post, I will know only by the middle of next week what's going to happen. Hopefully I will be able to get something.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 14-03-09, 03:21 AM

Hi Jo,

Good luck to you in the quest!

Mike
Old 14-03-09, 11:45 PM

Default Major Highes Lapointe RdeChaud.

A nice photo to be added here of Major or Lt.Col. Hughes Lapointe of the Regiment de la Chaudiere with full array of badges. According to Life Magazine the photo was taken in 1944. In 1944 Lapointe was a company commander. Later he was promoted to Lt.Col and was in charge,in Canada, of the reinforcement unit for the Chaudiere.
Jo
http://images.google.com/hosted/life...160ec2372897a6

Old 15-03-09, 09:17 AM

Thanks to everyone for this very fine thread.
Stay interested by good pictures of the first canadian made pattern... J-F
Old 15-03-09, 01:32 PM

Just noticed something......Lt.Col.Lapointe is missing his CVSM..........
Jo

Old 23-03-09, 12:02 PM

Just to close this subject on the printed title. Only one buyer and he paid US$ 99.99 on 22/03/09.
Jo

Old 23-03-09, 12:14 PM

Default Chaudiere Titles

The one in the Ebay auction looks to be a legit canvas title. The unit themselves were selling repro canvas titles a few years back. I have one here...faintly marked "Copie" on the back...will try to post a scan.

Dwayne
Old 23-03-09, 12:35 PM

'morning Dwayne, about those,I remember talking to Richard Martin in a show in Ottawa a few years back and he told me those, with "Copie", had been made for the Regiment de la Chaudiere re-enactors (and the militaria market) in France which was very big in the late '80 to the mid '90.
Jo

Old 23-03-09, 02:24 PM

Hi Jo,

It was a very nice title and as Dwayne says it looked legit. For many of the reasons Bill cited in his post a few weeks back in the Common Forum about prices...if this was an item that I had missing from my collection I may have been tempted to bid on it inspite of the cost because of my affinity (addiction) to the Chaudiere.

This auction also ended yesterday...unfortunately the title is post war and the cap badge is definitely not from the regiment.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=350178818489

Best Regards,
Mike
Old 23-03-09, 02:57 PM

Hi Mike, that's what happens when so-called "pickers" try their hand at selling on e**y. If you take a look at what other items he is selling, you will see that this guy is not a militaria dealer. Most probably an antiques seller or someone who goes around picking an item here,an item there in flea markets and trying to become rich by selling on e**y.
Jo

Tags
chaudière, patch, shoulder title