British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-20, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

When wearing a smock we had the DZ flash and 16 Bde badge on velcro. The maroon/blue was in barracks and then changed to black/green on exercise.

Definitely no day/night thing going on. Quite the silliest thing I have heard for a while.
Old 14-12-20, 11:47 AM
MarkGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal View Post
Indeed. I remember playing with PF Pl back in the early 90s and they had a habit of wearing their DZ flashes on the backs of their collars (so it was only visible when the collar of the para smock/hood of the windproof was up). I presume this hasn't persisted with the more recent habit of adding velcro to anything not nailed down and then sticking some kind of TRF or other badge on it...
l recall this happening with the move from Pegasus to 'Ruptured Pigeon' (enter your own analogy here) as a protest they were worn on the underside of the collar. Would have been late 90's though, after 16 AA was formed. Regards Mark
Old 14-12-20, 12:03 PM

The PF habit may well have been the inspiration Mark, it was definitely pre-Op Grapple (UN Bosnia) days (92-95) as my career path twisted somewhat after that...
Old 14-12-20, 01:14 PM

Smile

I’m old enough to remember plain white patches being worn under para smock collars to be used at night. When Pegasus was dropped when 16 AA Bde came into existence in 1999 and the Striking Eagle became the Brigade flash, the old Pegasus badges were sewn either under the collar or onto the left internal pocket (close to the heart)........

I’m resisting the temptation to be rude about the Eagle, as the guys wore it on two hard campaigns and some died wearing it....The design also has an honourable origin in being derived from the Lochailort Special Training Centre which was the first commando training centre in WWII and we all know that that the airborne troops evolved from No.2 Army Commando

Last edited by Colin S; 14-12-20 at 04:52 PM.
Old 14-12-20, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

The enthusiasm to return to the Pegasus at the earliest opportunity I think speaks for it self.

The Budgie was a sop to the AAC unfortunately.
Old 14-12-20, 02:47 PM

Indeed the Peggie is well loved, but there was a long period when it was not worn by Airborne Forces on any uniform i.e. between the end of battledress in the mid 1960s and its re-adoption as a formation flash on DPM para smocks by 5th Airborne Brigade in 1993.

The only exceptions during those years was that it was worn as a commemorative badge on No.1/2 Dress of 7RHA and 201 (Herts and Beds) Battery RA(V). The irony being that 201 Bty wasn’t even an airborne unit and 7 RHA was no longer an airborne unit when the Pegasus flash was originally granted in the 1970s when 16 Para Bde was dissolved, although it returned to the airborne fold in 1984.

The only widespread use of Pegasus at that time was on stable belt lockets for airborne units other than Para Regt, so the Pegasus wasn’t viewed as quite such an icon in the 1980s.
Old 14-12-20, 09:47 PM

As an old 5 AB hand I must agree with Colin's posts.

Though a mention should be given to the Yellow on blue peggy worn by 6th Field Force from 1977.
Old 14-12-20, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
As an old 5 AB hand I must agree with Colin's posts.

Though a mention should be given to the Yellow on blue peggy worn by 6th Field Force from 1977.
Schmidt! Well remembered! I was trying to forget that abomination, although it’s right that it was worn by some airborne units, (as well as many non-airborne ‘hats’). Fortunately, it was very short lived.......1978-82.

Last edited by Colin S; 14-12-20 at 10:09 PM.