British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-08, 03:58 PM

Default Lancashire Hussars

Hi Chaps
I have two of these badges and would like to know if one or both are genuine or not, both have lugs in different positions, could anyone post a picture of a genuine one for comparision, or know what to look for.

I can Scan each badge on it's own if you need bigger pictures.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 10:48 PM.
Old 29-01-08, 06:46 PM

Another minefield, both the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry and Imperial Yeomanry examples have been well and truly copied. I am attaching a photo of my Lancashire Hussars items but with the only comment that you should be particularly suspicious of white metal examples

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5789.JPG (66.5 KB, 163 views)
Old 30-01-08, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I am afraid that this badge has been so widely faked it is indeed a minefield. Bearing in mind the Regt went artillery in 1920 and adopted RA badges and as far as I know did not readopt the old ones, this should be one of the scarcest Yeomanry badges going. Likewise the Lincolnshire Yeomanry were disbanded in 1920 and are also as common as these ones indicated huge amounts of faking.

As far as your 2 go the darker one looks far better to me. The other one is too yellow and new to have any chance of being a 90 year old badge. I have a slidered version which I bought from a trustworthy (sic) dealer. I will try and get a good photo but the copy dies are exact as far as I can see to any reference picture or example I have seen. Unfortnately while there is an IY example in Wilkinson's book, I cannot see where the lugs are place. I wold not be surprised if they were even N-S vertical!

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 31-01-08 at 09:35 AM.
Old 31-01-08, 07:07 PM

Alan,
You are correct ,but if I might add a couple of points, according to Norman Lichfield " The Territorial Artilllery" up untill 1940 the successor unit wore the Lancashire Huusars white metal rose collar on the service dress tunic, and after the war an embroidered arm badge was authorised for wear on the on battleddress blouses. ( see the illustration of my L.H. items ).
P.B.
Old 31-01-08, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

head above parapet time! The front and back of my Lancashire Hussars.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badges 032.jpg (65.0 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg badges 033.jpg (63.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 31-01-08, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

For comparison a badge with the cut out end of wreath and the JRGaunt.London mark on the slider seen on a a well known ebay sellers merchandise.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lincs fake.jpg (38.6 KB, 212 views)
Old 31-01-08, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
While I am putting my head above the parapet I thought I would show this Lincolnshire Hussars badge - half a dozen on ebay every week. However the reason I like this one (apart from the colour, deep strike and style of long tapering slider) is that it matches the one shown in Wilkinson's Book. Particularly the top of the wreath on each side is continuous unlike the cut out version seen on the fakes.

Thoughts?

Alan
I like this badge and apart from Wilkinson's and Alan's, these are the only examples I've seen like this. It's one I won't hesitate to buy should it come up.
Old 01-02-08, 07:06 AM

Just as a matter of interest and to reinforce the point about how scarce cap badges to this regiment should be, it took me some considerable time to find any Lancashire Hussar buttons and in fact apart from the 2 large and 2 small ones which I have managed to acquire, I think have only ever seen one,possibly two others for sale in many many years.
P.B.

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 02-03-13 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 07:35 AM

I have just remembered this picture I have of a Lancashire Hussars officers full dress cap/badge.The mess dress collars were similar but there was a space between the crown and the rose.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img380.jpg (23.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 01-02-08, 09:25 AM

Alan and Keith,

I like the badge shown and agree it looks good.

Garry

Last edited by Rockape; 30-03-13 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-02-08, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garry,

You are quite right - there may have been 2 makers and 2 dies. But in the same way there may have been more than one fake die amde -each with a different crown!

I only believe mine is right as I have never seen another example except for the one in Wilkinsons book which is a good guide as the collection was mostly collected pre -restrike. This would suggest a rarity of a WW1 era Yeomanry unit should have. Yours may be fine but that type has been so widely faked I could not say for certain. The badge is not in K&K Vol 2 when I looked yesterday. Vol 1 may show the cut out ended version but I cannot remember for certain as I am away from my books this week.

Alan
Old 07-02-08, 07:09 AM

I have one that is much the same as Garry's. It is much darker than the photographs show - more of a dark chocolate colour, very solid, in fact unable to bend in any way, but unfortunately the lugs have been poorly repaired with epoxy. It has been in my collection for many years and I assumed it to be the genuine article.

Cheers
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lincs yeo front.jpg (59.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg Lincs Yeo back.jpg (68.7 KB, 125 views)
Old 19-02-08, 09:59 PM

Got one at last! Closer inspection reveals that the wreath isn't continuous to the upper corners, these are in fact ribbon tails. The wreath ends short and the small amount in between the last leaf and ribbon out to be cut out to accentuate the ribbon. Therefore I don't think that it's variation, more a factory error by one or more maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KK.1483. The Lincolnshire Yeomanry. (Lugs). F.jpg (84.3 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg KK.1483. The Lincolnshire Yeomanry. (Lugs). R.jpg (88.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg void.jpg (70.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-03-08, 08:48 PM

The difference in the centre of the rose and the shape of the lugs with brazing in the middle and they are north and south, the fact it came from the same collection as the KVF,4th Vol Cheshire, I believe I now have a genuine Lancashire Hussars.
I refer to the badge on the Right.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 12-04-08 at 10:30 PM.
Old 13-05-09, 11:37 PM

Default Lincolnshire Yeomanry

Condition of the badge is not the greatest due to the verdigis that's on the back and creeping out to the front. Besides that I'm wondering about any issues RE: restrike problems... thanks

Tags
lincolnshire, lincolnshire yeomanry