British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-04-22, 01:33 PM

Default Unknown pagri badge

I am not sure if this is military as I cannot find it in any of my colonial badge books. It may be for a government department. To my eyes the letters are E & D which could be for Excise Department or Education Department. The E could equally stand for East or Eastern.

I have no idea really and would welcome any positive suggestions.

It does appear to be a well made badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LF 009.jpg (98.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg LF 010.jpg (108.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 26-04-22, 11:44 PM

Hi Simon,
This is definitely Indian I would say and it turns up occasionally here in local exhibitions and auctions. My guess is Excise Department as I've also seen shoulder titles and what are called 'Chapras' badges to the excise department. The latter turn up more frequently and only last weekend at a local exhibition I saw a Chapras badge to one of the princely states.

My other guess is Ecclesiastical Department but that's a very long shot. I would say Excise is most likely.
Old 27-04-22, 06:40 AM

Sunil,

many thanks for your help with this, it is apprciated. I will look into finding further information regarding the Excise Department.

Do you know if it was a national department or if each state had their own excise department? I imagine that it was all India excluding the princely states who would have collected their own taxes and duties.

Simon.
Old 28-04-22, 10:28 AM

There was an all-IndiaExcise Dept, I guess they would have badges with the crown.. the states too had their own departments
Old 29-04-22, 08:38 AM

Sunil,

thank you for the clarification.

Simon.