British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-05-21, 08:21 PM

Default Bedfordshire Yeomanry

I have these examples which I believe are good. In another thread, Luke is of the opinion that a lugged all GM version shown is genuine, which leads me to some confusion as I had expected the GM version (which I assume is a WW1 economy) should be slidered only? Additionally, I note some versions do not have the legs voided as these are. Both of these have quite long sliders extending off the photo.

CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9734.JPG (115.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9735.JPG (98.8 KB, 77 views)
Old 14-05-21, 02:34 AM

Despite the legs being voided the BM badge on the left is a common repro.

I’m a bit confused by the reference to an economy badge? Prior to and during WW1 their other ranks badge was solely GM hence there is no ‘1916 all GM issue’ as it was all GM in the first place.

If an other ranks BM badge was ever worn it was not WW2 or before. I’ve never seen a other ranks BM badge I’d buy or consider genuine. Officers certainly did wear a two tone silver and gilt badge however.

Re loops v’s slider debate, such rules cannot be strictly applied to Yeomanry due to how they sourced their badges.
Old 14-05-21, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

The Bedfordshire Yeomanry was one of the 1908 yeomanry who converted to RA after WW1 and wore RA badges. It is thus one of the scarcer badges in existence. It was briefly re-raised post WW2 before amalgamation with another Yeomanry regt.
Old 14-05-21, 09:04 AM

The lugged gm badge was in use as a cap badge from 1908 to 1920 and as a collar badge from 1908 to 1961. Cap and collar badges are identical so the cap badge/collar badge question is only answered by the slidered version. I believe the slidered badges were a WW1 War Office concoction.
Old 14-05-21, 12:00 PM

Here is a very lovely and reasonably scarce pic of cap and collars being worn in WW1 on SD https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...1&d=1335722044

Most pics I’ve seen of the BY, even NCOs and those with Imperial Service tablets, only wear a cap badge and no collars on SD uniform.

As mentioned RA after 1920. My Yeo collecting ends at WW2 so is not something I’ve ever looked into beyond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8368D9D1-B554-48D7-9B95-5D9D9F371E54.jpg (32.9 KB, 86 views)

Last edited by Luke H; 14-05-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 14-05-21, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Here is a very lovely and reasonably scarce pic of cap and collars being worn in WW1 on SD https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...1&d=1335722044

Most pics I’ve seen of the BY, even NCOs and those with Imperial Service tablets, only wear a cap badge and no collars on SD uniform.

As mentioned RA after 1920. My Yeo collecting ends at WW2 so is not something I’ve ever looked into beyond.
Luke, do you have any information on the officer by any chance?. My wife's late father served with the Bedfordshire Yeomanry, R.A. 1938-1945 and might well have known him or even have been a fellow F.E.P.O.W. alongside him.
Old 14-05-21, 12:46 PM

Very sorry but I do not. It was sold on eBay, item no. 363328724945. Sadly there is no name or any clues to the sitter or studio, the back is completely blank.
Old 14-05-21, 12:54 PM

That's OK Luke, thanks for showing it anyway.
Old 14-05-21, 02:04 PM

Thanks for that, the matter has become much clearer. I have had that BM badge knocking about for years and had assumed it to be genuine even though officers were to wear them. Shame to relegate it to the garbage can

CB
Old 14-05-21, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

I have not been able to find any picture of the Regt post 1947 when they were re-raised before amalgamation. It's possible they wore the Beds yeo badge but just as likely th RA one was worn.

As Luke's picture shows the officers wore the RA gun in WW2. However as in other RA yeo regts it was often the officers who wore Yeo badges whilst ors wore the gun, it's unlikely the ORs did not follow suit.
Old 14-05-21, 05:19 PM

The gun badge was worn by other ranks up to the 1961 amalgamation.
Old 24-07-22, 06:56 AM

Carrying on from CB's post at the start of the thread would the consensus of opinion be that CB's all gm badge with a slider is correct?

As perhaps better illustrated in the attached photographs, it is clearly from a different die than the ubiquitous collar/cap on lugs (and illustrated in wear in Luke's photos). Though it does not have the obvious features of the common fake - short spiky crown, round arched wings, solid legs etc.

I recently picked up a slidered example in a lot and was quite happy to bid after reading Hoot's answer to CB and it does look absolutely spot on, but there's always that nagging doubt when it's a variant one personally hasn't come across before.....

I do hope both CB and I have good slidered examples.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5132.jpg (65.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5134.jpg (46.7 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 24-07-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 24-07-22, 07:41 AM

They look good to me Mark.
Old 24-07-22, 10:34 AM

Think these are fine going by the previous comments, but when you see these types of thread Doubt! creeps in and nags at you! So hopefully fine but your thoughts welcome!

The lugged version has voided legs, presumably a collar? Slidered badge is solid between legs? (is this acceptable?) for a good badge?

All the best Billy
Old 28-07-22, 05:12 PM

Default Bedfordshire Yeomanry

Here's a Beds Yeo badge with different fixings.
These are N/ S placed"Tombstone " type lugs, sometimes found on cast or Bazaar badges,though this one is die stamped,and looks to be well made apart from excess metal around the claws.
Al.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg by 1.jpg (79.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg by 2.jpg (78.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg by 3.jpg (54.6 KB, 15 views)