British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-16, 10:00 AM

Default Royal Signals S/T order of issue/wear

Guys is the attached picture the correct date order of wear? Westlake confirms 1 and 2 its the cloth embroidered titles I'm unsure of.

Thanks
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corps.jpg (34.9 KB, 148 views)
Old 07-12-16, 10:21 AM

interesting question.

The slip-on title came first - there are variations - although some ignored it and adopted Guards-style embroidered titles with serfi lettering. In 1943 the slip-on was superseded by a printed version of "Royal Corps of Signals". That was quickly replaced by the printed version "Royal Signals". In around 1947 an official embroidered version of "Royal Signals" was produced and that was worn until battledress was replaced in the 1960s.

But there is always a But.. Nobody liked the printed titles and unofficial embroidered versions of both "Royal Corps of Signals" and "Royal Signals" were made and worn. And when the full title was shortened some achieved the shortened version by cutting" Corps of" out of the full title.

And there are variations of the slip-on title too.

Hope that helps and does not confuse.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R Signals BLD.jpg (71.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg R Signals straight JM.jpg (68.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg R Corps Sigs JM.jpg (29.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg R Signals ptd BLD.jpg (29.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg R Signals shortened Robin.jpg (40.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Signals serifs JM sold.jpg (30.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-12-16, 10:31 AM

That's a very good question Steve.

Here are a few more slip on variants.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rs.jpg (102.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 07-12-16, 11:19 AM

Thanks Jon/Rob, would you have a rough idea of when the Corps went from Royal Signals then abbreviated to R.SIGS then RCOS?

Steve
Old 07-12-16, 12:52 PM

Thought id add this. When i served,80-87. I was never issued any titles. I dont even recall ever seeing anybody wearing them. Yet they are plentiful.
Old 07-12-16, 01:51 PM

More grist to the mill. the bottom one is less usual - the "full size" OF. There are also some interesting sub-titles; CINQUE PORTS, ULSTER , GLOSSOP. And BEACH SIGNALS of course.
R Signals Titles.01.jpg
Old 07-12-16, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Thought id add this. When i served,80-87. I was never issued any titles. I dont even recall ever seeing anybody wearing them. Yet they are plentiful.
The printed titles went out of use with the introduction of No2 Dress Mike

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 07-12-16, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The majority of anodised aluminium titles 'R.SIGNALS' had the lugs and later pins on the ends, which meant they did not fit on the shoulder straps, and therefore not used. Later issues had the pins closer together.

My son has just reminded me that in some units the titles were placed on a Olive Green slip on.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 07-12-16 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Text added.
Old 09-12-16, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I agree with this, on enlistment I was issued two cap badges (Beret/No2 dress cap) a pair of collar dogs, and a lanyard no titles of any kind and I don't recall through out the late 80s until CS95 any Corps/brigade/division insignia of any kind being worn - Even wearing of stable belts wasn't allowed in working dress (Nylon plastic belt, buckle sprayed British racing green). Yet AA Titles are everywhere.
Old 07-12-16, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMPEY621 View Post
Thanks Jon/Rob, would you have a rough idea of when the Corps went from Royal Signals then abbreviated to R.SIGS then RCOS?

Steve
Hi Steve

The "R.SIGS" judging from its material and colour is a Far East version so it would date from the middle to later part of the war? but doesn't really effect the dating of the others.

I don't know what era the "RCOS" version is, but I'm hoping someone may recognise the rear detail and have a guess.

Rob
Old 07-12-16, 07:46 PM

I'd agree with Rob about R.Sigs being late war and Far East for the following reason: When I was a kid I used to have an R.Sigs slip-on that belonged to my grandfather who served in it in 1945-46 in India. Sadly, I don't know what happened to it.

David
Old 11-12-16, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hi Steve

The "R.SIGS" judging from its material and colour is a Far East version so it would date from the middle to later part of the war? but doesn't really effect the dating of the others.

I don't know what era the "RCOS" version is, but I'm hoping someone may recognise the rear detail and have a guess.

Rob
My identical example of the "Far East version" is stamped on the reverse IAMD 1944. I don't know the expansion of IAMD - India Army M..... Depot? Mike