British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-09-11, 12:29 PM

Question Lincolnshire Regiment variant cap badge

Hi all,

The Lincolnshire Regiment Other Rank's cap badge introduced in 1898 changed from the white metal Sphinx over a plinth with Egypt in old English characters with a scroll inscribed Lincolnshire in gilding metal (K&K 600) to an Egypt in Roman characters over Royal Lincolnshire (again in bimetal)(K&K 1978) on 17th March 1948 upon the Lincolnshire Regiment (amongst several others) being bestowed the Royal title for services rendered in the Second World War. Early versions of the Other Rank's cap badge are lugged and later versions (post-1906) are slidered, however, lugged Royal Lincolnshire badges are found as presumably manufacturer's variants.

However, Officers to the Lincolnshire Regiment wore an eight-pointed star pattern forage cap badge (K&K 1957) in silver and gilt on raised ground of blue velvet (and later enamel) as per several patterns in my Lincolnshire album. Again from 1948 this changed to Royal Lincolnshire (K&K 1958) for the Officers star pattern forage cap badge. There are also Officer's Service Dress badges again in star pattern in bronze in my album.

Unlike many infantry badges the Sphinx pattern Lincolnshire Regiment Other Rank's cap badge was not produced in an economy issue in 1916 to save time and labour. Brass versions exist in die struck and cast and are again shown in my Lincolnshire album and these are somewhat of a mystery but maybe cadet badges or are just restrikes?

I show a picture below of a recent acquisition of a Sphinx pattern Lincolnshire Regiment cap badge but all in bronze. It is well made in two pieces with the scroll being brazed to the plinth of the Sphinx. The Sphinx is die struck and the scroll looks cast. The badge has nice older copper lugs.

It perplexes me as to whether it is an Officer's badge worn instead of an OSD star pattern which perhaps was not available. Private purchase? I have seen offered for sale (and sadly missed) a silver plate and gilt OR's Sphinx pattern badge which I would presume was for a senior NCO.

I am certainly not an expert to my family regiment cap badges so I invite members thoughts, regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lin.15.f.jpg (46.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg lin.15.r.jpg (48.2 KB, 69 views)
Old 21-09-11, 06:59 PM

Hi Dean
I think its an OSD collar.
Best regards Neil
Old 21-09-11, 07:24 PM

I agree with Dean that it might perhaps be an OSD collar badge. As for the all brass badges they are likely to be Bazaar made in India. Each soldier was only issued one badge and expected to swap it around his head dress. It became popular to keep a badge for 'best' and obtain sand cast, bazaar made badges for working head dress.
Old 22-09-11, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies,

The badge is normal Sphinx cap badge size of 60x55mm. An OSD collar is smaller in height some 60x32mm only. The scroll on an OSD collar like Westlake 321 has Lincolnshire on the scroll but the plinth is Egypt in Roman lettering which is not the same as the cap badge. On the cap badge when the lettering of Egypt changed to Roman lettering it went to Royal Lincolnshire on the scroll.

So it remains perhaps an OSD cap badge as a variant, whether I can find photographic or documentary evidence to support it is the fun and the challenge, cheers Dean.

Tags
bronze, lincolnshire regiment