British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-12, 12:26 PM

Default Corps Pipe Major's Plaid Brooch

Friends.

To those of you who are interested in things with a Piping background I thought I would just share with you an unique badge.

I have recently been sent the photo of the Corps Pipe Major's Plaid Brooch which although not official in that it has not been passed by the Royal Corps of Signal Dress Committee, has been worn by two Corps Pipe Majors as can be seen below.

The badge was brought by Pipe Major John Taylor when he left 40th (Ulster) Signal Regiment (V) to become Pipe Major of 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment (V) and shows "Jimmy" in the middle of a Celtic Cross Plaid Brooch.

When P/M Taylor left 32 (Scottish) Signal Regt (V) in 2008 to take up the post of Pipe Major of 19th Artillary Regiment the job of Pipe Major was taken over by Pipe Major WO1 (Now Captain) Billy Wardrope until 2009 when the Pipes and Drums transferred to the School of Signals in Blandford and became known as The Royal Corps of Signals Corps of Pipes and Drums under the leadership of a new and current Pipe Major S/Sgt Jimmy Scott.

Along with the photo of the Plaid brooch are photos of the two Corps Pipe Majors quite clearly wearing the Plaid Brooch.

Hope this may be of interest to some of you.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2312[1].jpg (47.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P___Ds_Royal_Corps_of_Sigs_P_M_John_Taylor.jpg (51.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg Billy Wardrope.jpg (19.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-03-12, 01:00 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Cheers Chris,

Great information and brilliant photo's, all we have to do now is lay our hands on the brooch

Dave.
Old 06-03-12, 03:41 PM

Dear Dave.

Billy Waldrope has got it and I fear it ain't going anywhere!!!!!

Chris
Old 06-03-12, 04:56 PM

Great item.

I think more than a few of us have an interest in Pipers uniforms and insignia.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 06-03-12, 07:45 PM

Some interesting looking insignia on the PM`s cross belts.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-03-12, 01:08 AM

You are both right !

Some nice gear being shown !!

If I can't have it or get it, I want it !!!

Nothing new there then ?

Dave.
Old 07-03-12, 09:49 AM

Dear Dave and PB

Below is perhaps a slightly better photo of the Cross Belt Embelishments.

Large Silver Jimmy for Cross Belt

Silvered Buckled Garter badge for Cross Belt

Last item is actually the Kilt Pin that all mebers of the Signals Pipe Band wear.

Hope this photo is of interest.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcs_cross_belt_accoutraments_badges.jpg (71.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-03-12, 10:03 AM

Cheers Chris,

I bet you've had a wicked little grin on your face when you posted these, that is certainly a lovely set and something like that would just fit into my collections nicely, so although I hate you for showing them , I have to thank you also

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 07-03-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 02:40 PM

Hi Chris
Some great pieces there, thanks for posting them.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 07-03-12, 05:26 PM

What is the appointment "in wreath" badge upper-right arm? Photo please? Jimmy in wreath I guess?

I wonder what it is in the RSigs history that made them think a Pipe Band was A GOOD THING?

Not that I have a problem with it, just seems a trifle odd to a Sassenach.
Old 07-03-12, 09:55 PM

Grumpy,

I think the badge you are interested in is shown in the Pipers Badges Album
( link at top of page to the right of the Forum title )

P.B.

Old 08-03-12, 12:09 PM

Dear Grumpy.

I should like to venture an answer to your question as to why the Royal Corps of Signals made overtures into the "Pipe Band" venture or more like why did they think it was a good thing.

Two of the very first units that became Royal Corps of Signals Regiments at the inception of the Corps back in 1920 were 51st (Highland) Division Signal Regiment and 52nd (Lowland) Infantry Division Signal Regiment.

Both of these Regiments had their own Pipe and Drum Corps. It was indeed partly through the afilliation back in 1952 when 51st (HD) Div Signals had the only Pipe Band in the Corps, that the Gurkha Signals started their own Corps of Pipes and Drums which appeared for the first time in 1955.

With the options of change in the TA in 1967 51st (Highland) Div Sig Regt was down graded to a Squadron with the inception of the new 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment (V). This Regiment continued with the Corps of Pipes and Drums in their own right as a volunteer unit until 2009 when the Corps of Pipes and Drums left 32 Sigs and moved to the School of Signals in Blandford
to become The Royal Corps of Signals Corps of Corps of Pipes and Drums.

I hope the above helps a little with the first part of your question.

Second part I think is the badge which I display below and hope it is the one in question.

Both the Pipe Major and the Drum Major in the Corps and I assume many other Corps and Regiments are Appointments and not ranks. The only rank stipulation I know of is that they must be of Sergeant rank or above. I won't go into the clarification of the way these are shown on the uniforms.

In September 2009 the Royal Signals Dress Committee brought forward new dress changes to the Corps of Pipes and Drums and as the Corps had recently moved from a Volunteer unit with 32 Signal Regiment (V) as they are now known, to the permanent position that they hold at the School of Signals along side the Band of the Corps of Signals, both the Drum Major and the Pipe Major appointment badges were changed. I believe that Firmin were the badge makers. Hence the new style Corps Pipe Majors Appointment badge. I have also attached a photo of the Drum Majors Appointment badge aswell.

As I am just a badge collector not an historian, any differing answer to the question posed by Grumpy I whole heartedly accept.

With my very best wishes.

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcs_pipe_major_current.jpg (46.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg rcs_drum_major_current.jpg (47.7 KB, 11 views)