British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-23, 07:54 AM

Default eBay lot - Control Commission Germany British Police Battle Dress Blouse

I recall a discussion about this Control Commission Germany British Police Battle Dress Blouse (or one very similar) some time ago as to whether the rank insignia was correct or a later embellishment, but I’ve been unable to find the thread so any help finding it will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225806933...sAAOSws5VkN-HH

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 31-10-23, 09:25 AM

Hi Graham
I saw this when it came up, it wasn't the rank badges that worried me I assumed it was a an army WO2 given a CCG job in the Police.
It was the shoulder Titles I was worried about, they looked very new, and completely different to the usual CCG titles
Old 31-10-23, 10:57 AM

This is isn’t my area, but just an observation that the rank badges are blanket stitched and look like they’ve been done by hand, whereas the rest appear machined with a running stitch.
Old 31-10-23, 11:50 AM

I used to own that BD, bought about 45 years ago when faking was less common.

The titles were clearly original and I assumed that the WO rank badge was a way to indicate a military rank roughly equivalent to that of the Police who if I am correct have no rank between Sergeant and Inspector.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCG British Police.jpg (35.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 31-10-23, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
….the Police who if I am correct have no rank between Sergeant and Inspector.
That is correct. In times past there was a ‘rank’ of Station Sergeant, which I believe was displayed by a metal crown appearing above the sergeant’s stripes in much the same manner as a Staff Sergeant in the British Army.

Cheers……John
Old 31-10-23, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
That is correct. In times past there was a ‘rank’ of Station Sergeant, which I believe was displayed by a metal crown appearing above the sergeant’s stripes in much the same manner as a Staff Sergeant in the British Army.

Cheers……John
Not quite correct. The rank of station sergeant (metal crown above Russia braid chevrons) only existed (as far as I'm aware) in the Metropolitan Police. The rank was introduced in 1890 and began to be phased out from 1973. The last person to hold the rank retired in 1980.

Dave.
Old 31-10-23, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
….only existed (as far as I'm aware) in the Metropolitan Police.
Dah! Being Met Dave, I’m not particularly familiar with police history beyond the confines of the Metropolis!!

Cheers……John
Old 31-10-23, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Dah! Being Met Dave, I’m not particularly familiar with police history beyond the confines of the Metropolis!!

Cheers……John
John,

Is there anything meaningful beyond the Met.?!

Dave
Old 06-11-23, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
Hi Graham
I saw this when it came up, it wasn't the rank badges that worried me I assumed it was a an army WO2 given a CCG job in the Police.
It was the shoulder Titles I was worried about, they looked very new, and completely different to the usual CCG titles
Thank you Sean, much appreciated - I knew there'd been a query about it but couldn't remember exactly what it was.

All the best

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 06-11-23, 10:21 PM

Thank you all for your comments, I was curious about this as the CCG Police parallels the BMA Police in Africa and the Med. All your inputs are greatly appreciated, however I think I'll refrain from starting a collection in another area likely to prove expensive.

Thanks again

Graham