British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-05-23, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
JT,
I have a few more pictures and all can be added to a ‘virtual museum’ project. The social group format is probably best as once set up it is quite straightforward for any member to add images from their own albums.

Tim
Thanks Tim.

Probably time then to start putting the thing together.

JT
Old 04-05-23, 07:27 PM

Interesting idea JT.

I visited often and spent many hours at the old Regimental museum. Sadly, I never thought to take any pictures. More importantly, I wish that I had listened to what my Grandfather was saying when I was a child. I think I mentioned that he was a 2nd Battalion NCO? It wasn't until much later that I realized the significance of the 27th of May 1940. My brother, who is considerably older than me, told me that Grandad said it was a simple case of what side of the road you were on when they were captured. Don't know how true that is, but I know that he was very lucky even though he was badly mauled.

Look forward to the results,

Andrew
Old 04-05-23, 07:45 PM

Hi JT,

A great idea. I have photos from two visits of every Royal Sussex display in the former Redoubt Museum in Eastbourne that I've been considering sharing for some time.

I'd be happy to upload these as part of this initiative.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Old 04-05-23, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
Interesting idea JT.

I visited often and spent many hours at the old Regimental museum. Sadly, I never thought to take any pictures. More importantly, I wish that I had listened to what my Grandfather was saying when I was a child. I think I mentioned that he was a 2nd Battalion NCO? It wasn't until much later that I realized the significance of the 27th of May 1940. My brother, who is considerably older than me, told me that Grandad said it was a simple case of what side of the road you were on when they were captured. Don't know how true that is, but I know that he was very lucky even though he was badly mauled.

Look forward to the results,

Andrew
Andrew,

How true it is. So many stories of family history that slipped through my fingers over the years, simply because I was too young to comprehend their significance and importance. It is only later in life many of us realise how priceless they really are. With family stories tending largely to be passed on verbally, failing to record them in other ways means that when the last person who knows about them is gone, it is all lost for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Pete View Post
Hi JT,

A great idea. I have photos from two visits of every Royal Sussex display in the former Redoubt Museum in Eastbourne that I've been considering sharing for some time.

I'd be happy to upload these as part of this initiative.

Kind Regards,

Pete
Pete,

That must constitute a fair number of images?! Good on you, and many thanks.

JT
Old 04-05-23, 09:45 PM

The Royal Norfolk Regimental Virtual Museum (social group) is now up and running, and open for donations.

Entry is free. Early closing Thursdays.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...php?groupid=25

JT
Old 05-05-23, 06:07 AM

Hi JT,

It's over 360 images. Some may be duplicates from my two trips. I'll start uploading them as soon as I have the time.

KR,

Pete
Old 05-05-23, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Pete View Post
Hi JT,

It's over 360 images. Some may be duplicates from my two trips. I'll start uploading them as soon as I have the time.

KR,

Pete
Pete,

Did the display from the Redoubt Museum, relocate?

JT
Old 05-05-23, 04:01 PM

Default QRIH

Hi All

I know the QRIH Artefacts that were located in the Redoubt Museum have been relocated in the QRH Museum in Warwick . link below

https://www.qrhmuseum.com/

Tony c
Old 05-05-23, 04:14 PM

Hi JT,

I believe it was packed up and put into storage, pending a new Eastbourne museum, but subsequently, the local council decided it wasn't something they wanted to give space to. I'm not sure on any later developments.

KR,

Pete
Old 05-05-23, 04:40 PM

The Steyr 1500 German Staff car captured by the Royal Sussex Regiment in Tunisia in 1943 when the Afrika Korps surrendered was restored to running order by the Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society (IMPS). Since 2018 the car, once ‘owned’ by General Hans-Jurgen Von Arnim has been displayed at Military history events.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1129.jpeg (107.7 KB, 18 views)

Tags
albums, lazarus, museums, royal norfolk regiment, social group