British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-10, 02:53 PM

Unhappy Sudan slip ons

Pictured below are my latest ebay badges. The slip on titles have the Egyptian crown that has the star and crescent and the tape around the base is maroon in colour, Would this officer be a member of the RAMC or does the maroon tape mean something different. Thanks, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sudan 001.jpg (64.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Sudan 003.jpg (95.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 21-04-10, 04:50 PM

Maroon tape on Iraqi stuff means "staff" rank, like our red gorget patches, possibly similar scenario here?

Tom

EDIT: Had a look, and firstly your stuff is pre 1991 from what I can gather when they removed the crown and added an eagle.... Rank appears to be Lt Colonel.

Last edited by Unknownsoldier; 21-04-10 at 05:37 PM.
Old 21-04-10, 06:57 PM

Default Sudan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Maroon tape on Iraqi stuff means "staff" rank, like our red gorget patches, possibly similar scenario here?

Tom

EDIT: Had a look, and firstly your stuff is pre 1991 from what I can gather when they removed the crown and added an eagle.... Rank appears to be Lt Colonel.
My "stuff" as you put it is pre 1956. Before that date Sudan was an Anglo- Egyptian Condominium but in reality Britian ruled the Sudan as a Colony and British officers wore the Egyptian crown and not the British crown, John.
Old 21-04-10, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
My "stuff" as you put it is pre 1956. Before that date Sudan was an Anglo- Egyptian Condominium but in reality Britian ruled the Sudan as a Colony and British officers wore the Egyptian crown and not the British crown, John.
Superb, cool I'll add a margin note All I could find was that they changed the insignia in 1991....

Tom
Old 29-04-10, 11:42 AM

Nice lot! for sale mabe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Pictured below are my latest ebay badges. The slip on titles have the Egyptian crown that has the star and crescent and the tape around the base is maroon in colour, Would this officer be a member of the RAMC or does the maroon tape mean something different. Thanks, John.
Old 29-04-10, 04:50 PM

Default Sudan slip ons

Thanks for your interest Saumua,I will not be selling the slipons as they are in pairs appart from the white on black trio. One of these I gave to a very good friend last Saturday.I have looked at your various collection of badges and if they were for sale they couldnt go to a better collection, thanks, John.