British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-12, 08:29 AM

When the Royal Military Academy Woolwich was running the other place was the Royal Military College Sandhurst.

Marc
Old 26-05-12, 11:02 AM

Fine. Then both amalgamated in 1947 to RMA Sandhurst. But my query re curved RMA shoulder title being worn by RMA Woolwich and Royal Malta Artillery still isn't resolved.
Rgds, GTB
Old 03-06-12, 03:42 PM

List of changes, change number 4775 published in December 1951 introduced a GM title RMAS (CB2395) for wear at RMA Sandhurst, GM title (CB1040) previously worn by RMA and Royal Malta Artillery to be worn by the Royal Malta Artillery only. No mention of if the RMA title was curved or straight.

Marc
Old 03-06-12, 04:18 PM

From personal experience no metal shoulder titles of any design were worn by Cadets at RMA Sandhurst 1961-63. The closest thing to adornment on shoulder straps were the straight bars of chevron materal worn in parallel (fore and aft) on the shoulder straps - two for a Cadet Cpl, three for a Cadet Sgt and three plus a superimposed staybright RMAS collar badge for a Cadet CSgt. These were worn in all orders of dress except combat kit. There was no Cadet rank of Cadet WO. Senior and Junior Under Officers wore the Austrian knot in two formats.
Old 03-06-12, 04:53 PM

Thanks for input. Royal Malta Artillery's titles were curved. Straight RMA titles applied to Royal Marine Artillery
GTB
Old 24-06-12, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Thanks for input. Royal Malta Artillery's titles were curved. Straight RMA titles applied to Royal Marine Artillery
GTB
Hi GTB
Where did you find this info or do you have pictorial reference or other,
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 24-06-12, 09:46 AM

Hi Malc
Westlake "Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles" gives this information. Besides that, an illustrated article by Norman Litchfield appearing in a military magazine, states that the curved brass title was introduced for wear by ORs of the Royal Malta Artillery on service dress from c. 1907. I don't know the precise date when it was phased out. I recall that in some local collecting circles, uninformed collectors looked upon the straight RMA title as a 'miracle find', erroneously believing it to be a Royal Malta Artillery title variety! No doubt further authoritative data will be forthcoming either from Forum members or documentary research. That's why I instigated this thread in the first place.
GTB
Old 25-06-12, 06:14 AM
button_guru

Default RMA STs

The best two reference sources are the Crown Agents' sealed patterns books, if they still exist, or any Army Orders when the items were authorised. As far as I know, all changes in badges and uniform are officially authorised, recorded and archived. I can tell you outright the the Armed Forces of Malta have no records beyond 1974, when Malta became a republic.
Maybe the best two places are Kew or possibly the RA Regimental Museum.

As for the introduction of metal STs for the RMA (Maltese), 1903/4 sound closer to when the round cap badge was introduced in King's Crown. And another interesting fact is that the round Malta badge and that of the Royal Military Academy bare a strong resemblace in shape and at a distance.
Rgds,
button_guru
---------------------
Buttons are more than just a hobby!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal Military Academy.jpg (88.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Malta Artillery KC.jpg (96.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-08-12, 09:06 AM

Hi Alan
Looking at you reply to the Sandhurst lanyards still can't understand can you help me so is the Blue Landyard the interns Yellow First Term Red Final Term and try colour Soverign's Platoon. I went to Sandhurst Open day in June this year (2012) i asked a cadet with a blue Landyard who just started and he said that his room was in old college not New college as the post stated still confused. can you help thanks Colin
Old 06-08-12, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Colin,

The Lanyard colours do change as the course changes. Yellow used to be worn by the Graduate Coy many years ago. The red/blue used to be tied to colleges, if it now tied to terms then that's progress. I am sure your cadet told you the current reality.

Alan
Old 06-08-12, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Colin,

The Lanyard colours do change as the course changes. Yellow used to be worn by the Graduate Coy many years ago. The red/blue used to be tied to colleges, if it now tied to terms then that's progress. I am sure your cadet told you the current reality.

Alan
For the record and as at the period 1961-63 (when there were 1000 cadets, three Colleges (Old, New and Victory), 12 Companies (each named after a battle or campaign) and 48 Platoons) colleges were distinguished by lanyards , seniority strips and stable belts - all in colours Old (Red), New (Blue and Victory (Yellow). Sovereign's Company wore (whilst so styled) a lanyard of the three colours - red, blue and yellow.
Old 06-08-12, 03:13 PM

Thanks Alan
My Late father worked at the Academy for 40+ years as Mess Superintendent 1960-1990 so i will blame him for my collecting habit into collecting Sandhurst items his last post was in the then new Victory College, thanks for the info Colin
Old 06-08-12, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I asked a collegue who says that the Junior intake wear a yellow lanyard, Intermediate intake is blue and the Senior intake is red.

Alan
Old 06-08-12, 05:03 PM

Thanks Alan just what i thought many thanks again Colin