British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-01-10, 07:55 PM

Default :) Spot the Repaired Lug

I just had a lug on this badge repaired (using the original lug which came off in my hand as I opened the package it arrived in...). Cost all of $15 and in my opinion, barely noticeable! The photos actually highlight the appearance of the solder, in hand it is even less noticeable.

Anyway, I was well pleased with the work and would recommend "The Gem Gallery" in Etobicoke, Ontario (on the Queensway) to anyone in the area (I have no affiliation with them and they do not know I am making this recommendation!). They sell jewelry and watches as well as do jewelry (and badge!) repair.

Cheers, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEF_244_OR_Kitcheners Own.jpg (82.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_244_Back.jpg (88.7 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_244_Lug Repair Left.jpg (40.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_244_Lug Repair Right.jpg (50.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 20-01-10, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
I just had a lug on this badge repaired (using the original lug which came off in my hand as I opened the package it arrived in...). Cost all of $15 and in my opinion, barely noticeable! The photos actually highlight the appearance of the solder, in hand it is even less noticeable.

Anyway, I was well pleased with the work and would recommend "The Gem Gallery" in Etobicoke, Ontario (on the Queensway) to anyone in the area (I have no affiliation with them and they do not know I am making this recommendation!). They sell jewelry and watches as well as do jewelry (and badge!) repair.

Cheers, Ian.
Hello Ian,

I have taken stuff to our local jeweller. He sends it to someone who does laser soldering pricy but worth it!

Who needs to know if it saves buying another badge!

Cheers
Rob
Old 21-01-10, 03:56 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

I never let a soldered lug bother me when buying a badge. Some will pass up a common badge if a lug is soldered but they never pass up a scarce one soldered or not.
Old 21-01-10, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
I never let a soldered lug bother me when buying a badge. Some will pass up a common badge if a lug is soldered but they never pass up a scarce one soldered or not.
I'd say you're right about that - here is a good example, $590 and counting, soldered lug and all!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 21-01-10, 10:04 PM
Former Member

I sell quite a few badge with repaired fittings! The way I look at it is; I have Genuine badges with their lugs or sliders missing (shit happens) and IMO it is better to offer a genuine repaired badge for sale than a repro! I state quite clearly that it has been expertly repaired (thanks to Dave (our very own davec2 here on the Forum, who is yet to let me down on repairing a badge)) and at the end of the day, who would bother to get a repro repaired?

Andy
Old 21-01-10, 11:33 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Cheers Andy,

I try but I can't always get it dead right, know what I mean ? lol.

Regards.

Dave.
Old 22-01-10, 12:04 AM

Hey Dave - does the work on my 244th badge pass muster? Do you normally use lead solder on lugs?

Cheers, Ian.
Old 22-01-10, 12:45 AM

Hello Ian,

I never criticise other peoples work nor advertise my own, I mainly repair white metal, brass, bronze and occasionally silver metals and I only use 65% silver solder, I would not dream of using lead solder, it is, for a start, intrusive ?

My work is done through word of mouth and I rarely have any problems, I have deleted most of this post because I was in fact advertising ?????

Regards.

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 22-01-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 22-01-10, 12:52 AM

Nice work, Dave. Come to think of it, lead solder may not be available anymore...?
Old 22-01-10, 11:44 AM

Hello Ian,

I guess you can still get the solder used by electricians in some of the older hardware shops the new stuff, although still a low melting point, is lead free.

As for my repairs, following a recent turn of events, it is unlikely that I will be offering to do much work for anyone other than the one person who seems to believe in me, sad but........................

Dave.

Last edited by davec2; 23-01-10 at 09:45 PM.
Old 22-01-10, 12:52 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec2 View Post
Hello Ian,

I never criticise other peoples work nor advertise my own, I mainly repair white metal, brass, bronze and occasionally silver metals and I only use 65% silver solder, I would not dream of using lead solder, it is, for a start, intrusive ?

My work is done through word of mouth and I rarely have any problems, also, because it is mainly a hobby I only charge a minimal £2.50p a go, I will post a couple of recent OSD badges I have repaired recently and a white metal model, I have to admit that the owner of the white metal badge was not overly impressed, as I said, I rarely get it wrong but.........

Because it's only a hobby ( I do have to pay for the materials, hence the small charge ), it doesn't really bother me when I'm quiet but when I have a few to do, obviously I can buy a badge for my own collections, as the ' meercat ' says........simples......

Regards.

Dave.

PS, In the case of the OSD's it's the right hand blade and it's both hand made lugs on the white metal badge........
Dave,
Nice repairs. I will be in touch. David

Tags
lug repair