British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-13, 06:32 PM

Default The Ontario Military Hospital!

Just been to my local Library In Orpington,(Kent) and I saw a booklet for sale on the "Ontario Military Hospital" So having spent many a happy hour in those buildings,The Booklet is a locally produced item only for sale in our local Library for their funds etc as it was only £5 I bought it. It was well worth the money 35 pages of well researched information starting with a very brief Introduction on the Canadian Expeditionary force, and then the need for a Hospital in the uk and it goes on to tell the story of how the hospital came to be in Orpington.It is full of facts and figures for example that in a six month period 448,955 meals were served to the soldiers on the Wards,{I can only hope that the food was better than it is now,I have to rely on my wife to bring in food everyday as does just about everyone else on the wards}. It then goes on to list the 88 Canadian soldiers who are buried in the Canadian Corner of the local church. I just thought that some of you guys in Canada might be interested in hearing about the Hospital for Canadian casualties here in the UK. I have also been in the local churchyard and I can tell you guys the graves in the Soldiers corner of the Graveyard are very well looked after by the ladies of the parish with plenty of flowers and shrubs in the area.
Old 20-06-13, 08:02 PM

Yorkie, this is very interesting to me. As a collector of WWI medals, I find this fascinating. I have few of my men who were through that Hospital. All survived, as I don't really collect casualties. Any chance they have more of these booklets available? Seems to me it may be a good thing to have in the book shelf.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 20-06-13, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Yorkie, this is very interesting to me. As a collector of WWI medals, I find this fascinating. I have few of my men who were through that Hospital. All survived, as I don't really collect casualties. Any chance they have more of these booklets available? Seems to me it may be a good thing to have in the book shelf.
Hi Pylon,
I really do not know if there are any more of these Items at the Library. But I will find out for you Or rather my wife will check for you as I am disabled and do not get into town as often as I would like to.
I really do not see any problems with them producing more of these booklets they should be able to run them off on their photocopier as it is just 19 sheets of A4 paper stapled at one corner (35 printed sides).
It is interesting to me as a collector of wwi items, and especially as I have been lucky enough (or possibly unlucky) to be an in patient at this Hospital.
Incidentally this hospital is now under threat of closure because of the cuts to the N.H.S. the Bar-----ds say we have too many hospitals in the borough.
By the way some time ago I got some cards sponsored if I remember correctly by the canadian government. I advertised them for free on the forum I even paid all the postages on them all to Canada,Were you one of the guys who got one .I might still have one or two of them around if you want one (I have to find them first) I will let you know about the booklet in a day or two.Cheers.