British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-03-16, 03:13 PM

Default William C. Hampson books..???

A question for BillA and Clive Law and whoever happens to know something on this subject......How come nobody,that I know of, never refer to these three books or, I just I'm blind when it happens someone speaks/write about them....

A Catalogue of Twentieth-Century Canadian Military Cloth and Metal Shoulder Titles 1900 to 1999,Part I: Canadian Corps Troops.

A Catalogue of Twentieth-Century Canadian Military Cloth and Metal Shoulder Titles 1900 to 1999,Part II: Royal Canadian Armoured Corps.

A Catalogue of Twentieth-Century Canadian Military Cloth and Metal Shoulder Titles 1900 to 1999,Part III: Royal Canadian Infantry Corps.

Author: William C. Hampson, CD, BA, MEd
Published: self published (when ???)
These books used as references by canadiansoldiers.com

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 09-03-16, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

If I understand correctly, they were demand or limited print and were on the high side price wise. I have not examined them and can not comment on the contents. I contributed information to Bill, but that was prior to extensive research at archives.
(I think these were line drawings not images of the actual badges.)

Last edited by Bill A; 09-03-16 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-03-16, 10:06 PM

Thank you very much for the information,greatly appreciated.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 10-03-16, 07:29 PM

RETRACTED, see post below
Not very good but very expensive. Little text and no research. Also, as Bill printed these 10 copies at a time and was continually updating these it is impossible to reference a page and expect somebody else to have exactly the same 'edition'. Finally, the organization of the info still has me baffled and I have to check almost every page to find a unit.
I would like to rely on his unit colours but he gives no source and, after almost 30 years of researching at Archives and never finding these I question their accuracy.
RETRACTED, see post below

Last edited by servicepub; 14-03-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 07:34 PM

Thank you very much for the comment,greatly appreciated.
Jo

Old 11-03-16, 05:23 PM
Banned

He did a book on RCAF insignia and its very good. Not infallible but very good. Not sure what the original price is.

I don't tend to refer to it or any book as I tend to research for myself, original documents and service use, although often use books as a start point.
Old 11-03-16, 07:28 PM

Default different author

The RCAF book was written by a different Bill Hampson
Old 11-03-16, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Clarification, please Oliver? I was under the impression the two were one and the same as well.
So, the only publication by Bill Hampson (your father) was the shoulder title book?
Old 11-03-16, 09:38 PM

Default to many Bill's

The RCAF book was written by another Bill Hampson, Who was friends with my grandfather Bill Hampson. The shoulder title books were done by my father Bill Hampson. confused yet?
Old 11-03-16, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

Nope, not now. Clear as mud.
Old 14-03-16, 04:06 PM

My apologies for the earlier post which I have now retracted. I was thinking of the 3-volume work by G. Hughes "A Marchpast of the Canadian Army - Then and Now" and my comments were directed to that series and not the 3-volume series by Hampson.
Clive