British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-01-18, 06:17 PM

Default Help with Pre-WWI uniform

This is a picture from my grandmother's old photo album. Trying to identify rank, regiment and era... If it helps she was from the Durham England area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7465.jpg (42.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 27-01-18, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hello rjthomp, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for replies.
Old 28-01-18, 01:02 AM

Default Help with Pre-WWI uniform

hello rjthomp,

Unfortunately Victorian lancer regiments not an area of my personal expertise, but believe I can give you a good lead, namely how to identify the plate on the lancer's czapka. That plate is the major clue you have as to which regimental uniform the man is wearing, 5th, 9th (later 9th/12th), 12th, 16th (later 16th/5th), 17th (later 17th/21st), 21st or 24th. At least that will narrow the search down a bit. You will also have to look into the Yeomanry Regiments for lancers, i.e. Queen's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry. Not certain of other territorial lancer regiments. Suggest the following web site in order to determine identity;
https://www.pinterest.com/michelducheyne/uk-czapka/ . Hope this proves of some assistance.
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 28-01-18, 01:19 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day

Could we please have the photo the right way round and a close up hi res scan of the lance cap so as to give us something to work with.

Regards

Phil.
Old 28-01-18, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
G'day

Could we please have the photo the right way round and a close up hi res scan of the lance cap so as to give us something to work with.

Regards

Phil.
Here you go Phil hope this is ok for you mate .

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7465.jpg (37.3 KB, 66 views)
Old 29-01-18, 02:07 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Hi Rob

Thanks for turning the photo but theres not enough detail in the Czapka plate to identify the Regiment. All I can say is that its not 17th Lancers as it would have a white plume. The fact that the plastron is buttoned closed does not show the facing colour.

Regards

Phil.
Old 29-01-18, 09:13 AM

Default Lancers

Nice picture Rob
Its a mater of deduction I think. Unusual to have no collars which is another great help so as Phil has said not 17th not just the plume but the collar would be white . The plastron however is not buttoned over hard to spot as its all one colour but there would be a major crease down the middle. Its not 21st either as they have a lighter collar .

The plate only tells us its Victorian cant see much else.

Its one of the following 9th.......12th...........5th.............16th if a line cavalry man.

Its not 9th as they have black and white plumes that stick out in these types of photo and no metal flutes up the corners of the Lance cap.

Its probably not 16th as they mostly have a crimped plume.

Its either 5th or 12th.

Each Regiment has its own way of doing its lines from the cap. the lines on this picture look more like the 5th so my guess is the 5th

If its yeomanry Bedfordshire would be my guess.

Best Mac

Last edited by mac mcconnell; 30-01-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 29-01-18, 09:21 AM

Do you have a name for the soldier as that might help to identify the regiment?
Old 29-01-18, 08:24 PM

Thanks for the replies! I don't have a name for the soldier. But my grandmother's name was Bewley. Her father was Isaac Bewley, born 1862. This could be him or an uncle or someone else entirely...