British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-09-18, 06:39 PM

Default 4th Gurkha Rifles officer's cap badge

Apologies for no photos. There is a WWII era officer's khaki service dress peaked cap for sale online that looks to be authentic & made by a Dehra Dun tailor.
My concern is that while it is definitely a post 1924 cap, the badges, including side buttons, do not have the Prince of Wales feathers mounted, just the crossed khukris, with IV below.
Could the officer have used old insignia, perhaps from a family member? Would it have been permitted? I the the POW designation would be highly valued.
Any opinions most appreciated.
Old 08-09-18, 07:44 PM

Hi there RAS49 welcome to the forum.

Difficult to tell without a photo but it could well be Indian army post 1950. After independence in 1947 the Regt continued to wear the old insignia with POW feathers until 1950 at that point they did away with the POW feathers but did not adopt the Ashok Lions above the crest until 1988.

Would love to see a photo - I assume it's a boss badge on the cap?

Tim
Old 08-09-18, 08:00 PM

I think I may have found the answer, which matches your estimate of a post-1947 cap.
The maker's logo features the lions, not the British Crown, so post independence methinks.
Glad I passed on it; seller wants $ 250, way too much IMHO.
Thanks much.