British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-21, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Luke

Could be either. I would not rule out old stock as there are contemporary written accounts on the forum recording that the Cheshire Yeomanry issued IY badges into the late 20's and Ayrshires issued IY badges in 1939.

Alan
Old 10-01-21, 02:30 PM

My thoughts would be that these badges came from a particular manufacturer and like the Manchester Regt you mention, were simply made and finished as they are now found and at that point in time, I would assume the war was very much on, but, without evidence this is assumption only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The numbers seen of these badges is comparatively low compared to the correctly finished IY badges. Same scenario as encountered with the solid BM Mancs badges etc.

As you say a cap badge shortage late 1914 - early 1915 which is exactly when the picture dates from.

Not sure what more I can say, either this unit accepted a very low number of defective IY badges from a manufacturer but decided not to do what any paying customer would and return/reject them but instead kept them (for perhaps nearly a decade) in a tin until late 1914/5. Sounds unlikely.

Or this badge matches a well known trend of using old dies/designs in WW1 such as Northamptonshire Regt, Suffolk Regt, East Surrey etc. and the lack of fine voiding seen on Manchester Regt, Royal Irish Regt, Connaught Rangers etc. etc. to speed up production. Sounds more likely.

A wartime rush job seems far more likely and feasible all things considered to me.

We will have to agree to disagree.