British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-08-08, 10:09 AM

Default NZ Machine Gun Corps

Wondering if anyone could help me identify if this is an original cap badge. NZ pattern mg corps badge, kings crown, three lugs on reverse side, plate on one of the vickers, stamped JR Guant London. Is this a true or fake makers mark. Slight build up of thick blue powder on reverse. Attached are two images of the badge, sorry not that clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00955.jpg (16.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00956.jpg (18.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 13-08-08, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Phil,

Gaunt plaques have been faked on RND badges. However while they are not found on WW1 British Army ORs badges, they are correct on badges made for the Imperial forces of the time. It was something to do with the regulations governing export of British goods that caused them to be marked. The link shows a page of amrks including a JR Gaunt London Plate.

Alan

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/mak...ks/sliders.htm
Old 16-08-08, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Matches the Illustration in Corbett's book nicely, but you will have to wait on a kiwi expert to come along and confirm.

I love the slap-happy way the gaunt tablet has been affixed, surely no faker in his wildest nightmare would think of applying it like that.

anyway you remind me that a collar to match went on ebay short while back.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Zealand-Br...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 16-08-08, 03:25 PM
Badge Guru

I`m not 100 precent sure about this badge. If you pick up the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Militaria Insignia of the 20th century by Gordon Rosignoli Page 94 his badge is very different. The MG barrels are very short and that badge appears to be far more sturdy.

It could be a genuine badge by a different manufacturer but if it does not conform to the example in my books its not for me.

NZ badges are something we havent discussed in great detail in regards fakes on the forum. I know that they are being faked in quantity.
Old 16-08-08, 05:08 PM
Administrator

There is a scarcer version of this with stubby barrels. This stubby barrel version also has the square letter "NZ" like the ebay collar, rather than the vertically elongated "NZ" distinctive of the normal cap.
Old 16-08-08, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
There is a scarcer version of this with stubby barrels. This stubby barrel version also has the square letter "NZ" like the ebay collar, rather than the vertically elongated "NZ" distinctive of the normal cap.

just had a look in Cox, the two types are side by side. (p315)
Old 29-10-08, 11:54 AM

Badge is fine...... three versions exist in both brass and bronze
Old 29-10-08, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba View Post
I`m not 100 precent sure about this badge. If you pick up the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Militaria Insignia of the 20th century by Gordon Rosignoli Page 94 his badge is very different. The MG barrels are very short and that badge appears to be far more sturdy.

It could be a genuine badge by a different manufacturer but if it does not conform to the example in my books its not for me.

NZ badges are something we havent discussed in great detail in regards fakes on the forum. I know that they are being faked in quantity.
whos to say the badge in Rosignoli book is a good one?
Old 29-10-08, 06:52 PM

definately correct. In 25 years collecting NZ badges havent seen any NZMGC badges that are faked.
Old 05-07-09, 08:27 AM

Default NZMGC Fakes

> definately correct. In 25 years collecting NZ badges havent seen any NZMGC badges that are faked. <

They are being faked. I picked up a couple of recently cast brass NZMGC hat badges out of the States 2 months ago.....but both were cheap (ie $US10) so I didn't care.
I sold them on as such.

Cheers...TonyB
Old 05-07-09, 10:23 AM

Cast shoulder titles can be period (and very collectable in their own right) and this is true for NZ WW1 and Ww2 badges - long way home to get new ones. Certainly NZ badges do not suffer to the extent that UK ones do with good struck fakes in exextance - there are a few exceptions but not many.

Tags
guant, mgc, new zealand