British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-06-10, 05:04 AM

Default Royal Armoured Corp Tankers Helmet, Helmet, Steel, RAC, Mk 2

Hi all, I'm not sure where to place this so we'll try here in the Militaria Section. Yesterday I picked up this great Royal Armoured Corps Mk.2 Steel (Helmet Steel, No. 4) helmet with a painted MP on the front. It appears that both Canadian and British tankers wore this helmet and that it remained in service with Canadian forces until well after the war. The liner is the lift-the-dot type and dated 1945. The chinstrap is also dated 1945 and is the Mark 2 version with the quick release.

The helmet has been over painted an olive green over the original sand textured dark olive drab. The MP is in white letters 4 cm X 4 cm. The interior is the original dark olive drab. The only mark on the lid is F 09 while the liner is marked BS 1945 and 7 1/2. The chinstrap is also marked but I can only read the 1945 date.

I ‘m tempted to gently clean the newer paint off to reveal the MP underneath but I’ll resist that temptation. It’s bad enough that I cleaned the filth out of it.

Cheers,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tanker1.jpg (29.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg tanker2.jpg (79.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg tanker3.jpg (92.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg tanker4.jpg (29.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg tanker5.jpg (19.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 13-06-10, 12:50 PM

Great catch Greg.
Congrats.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-06-10, 03:29 PM

Thanks Jo, I've always wanted the 3 versions of the helmet, dispatch rider, para and tanker. Roger Lucy's "Tin Lids" book has been a great help in knowing what I have and need. Unfortunately, helmets take up lots of space while hat badges do not so my focus has always been on the badge side

Cheers,

Greg
Old 13-06-10, 06:03 PM

Really nice helmet! I've only ever seen one strap like that before - I had one which I think I found in my troop store c 1970 and wore on my RAC style helmet. I never knew they belonged together. I also fitted it with a much more moderen knitted liner. I wore it until well after the modern kelvar helmets were introduced.

Eddie
Old 15-06-10, 12:48 PM

Default RAC HELMETS

Great find there, especially with the MP Paint...I have a Kriegsmarine helmet that had the decal painted over post war so I had it carefully removed revealling a great navy decal....my dad was the offending painter in the 50's after he came to Canada.
Here is my RAC Helmet.It was found in a Dutch barn south of Delfzijl a few years back.It had the soldiers name and number printed in the rim.Turns out the Tpr was from The Governor General's Horse Guards of the 5th Cdn Armoured Division which was fighting in the area in pursuit of retreating German forces in 1945. I especially like the German helmet strap that is attached to it BMB 1943.A neat helmet that saw alot o service all through Italy and Northwest Europe only to be lost in a Dutch Barn.

Old 21-06-10, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Thanks Jo, I've always wanted the 3 versions of the helmet, dispatch rider, para and tanker. Roger Lucy's "Tin Lids" book has been a great help in knowing what I have and need. Unfortunately, helmets take up lots of space while hat badges do not so my focus has always been on the badge side

Cheers,

Greg
Hi, There are actually 4 versions of this helmet as a near identicle pattern with either an elastic or webbing chinstrap were used by the RAF Regiment, Royal Marines and the Royal Navy!

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Section of 40 Commando, New Lodge Belfast 1971.jpg (95.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 26-06-10, 11:26 PM

Default RAC Helmets

The RAC Helmet can be found in two marks, the distinguishing feature being that the Mk II has the removeable liner with the 'Lift the Dot' centre fastener.

The Chinstrap comes in three marks, the first being the complicated internal spring and elastic version seen on early British and all Canadian Mk II helmets. The second Mk II version is all elastic and can be found in either khaki drill or on later versions olive drab and finally there is the Mk III version with the quick release.

Here is a Mk II RAC Helmet with a Mk II Chinstrap in khaki drill.

Here is a Mk II RAC Helmet with a Mk II Chinstrap in olive drab. Many of these saw post-WWII service with the RN and used to be very common.

Here is an example of a Mk II RAC Helmet with a Mk III Chinstrap.

Here is a Canadian Mk II Helmet with a Mk I Chinstrap.

Old 26-06-10, 11:33 PM

Default Airborne and Dispatch Rider

Here are images of the Airborne

and Dispatch Rider helmets that use a similar shell like that used on the RAC Helmet.

Old 26-06-10, 11:42 PM

Default RAC Mk. 1 helmet

I have been looking for a RAC Mk. 1 helmet for some time, with no luck. If any of you have any leads on one (or happen to have an extra!) please let me know.
Old 03-07-10, 08:23 PM

Default AFV helmet

The first version of the AFV helmet had a fibre rim exactly the same as the first airborne helmetpictures below show my 1942 second version with bolted liner and one from 1977 with a lift the dot liner and the knitted liner that Eddy mentions. Note the para type chin cup on the 1977 helmet. John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 023.jpg (44.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (80.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (56.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 020.jpg (58.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 022.jpg (83.1 KB, 28 views)

Tags
helmet, rac, rcac