British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-12-22, 05:56 PM

Wow, I can't believe this has come around again!

Music is so very, very personal and many people struggle to understand peoples tastes. Me? I love this thread! I love music and hearing what others enjoy gives me pleasure. Keep it coming

My favorite version of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puZAGRkf6xc
Old 14-04-23, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Thanks Hoot, I'm probably safer sticking with Bright Eyes!!!

We've made two trips just to visit the places in the novel - "Watership Down". Truly magical and had tea with Mr. and Mrs. Adams in their home on our last trip.

Terry
Wow, terry, I never saw your post. What a great book to have signed... I read the book many years ago and the film still breaks my heart every time.
Old 02-01-24, 04:56 PM

Ever since this track was released back in the late 1970's I've heard a line in the lyrics as "The Sweeney's doing nintey 'cos they've got the word to go, they got a gang of villains in a shed up Blackheath Road", but a few days ago I was told that the wording is "The Sweeney's doing nintie 'cos they've got the word to go, they got a gang of villains in a shed up at Heathrow"
Looking online I've seen the lyrics written as Heathrow, not Blackheath.
The Blackheath version made sense to me, members of the band come from the South East area of London eg Difford is from Woolwich, Holland from Greenwich (Blackheath Road runs through Greenwich up onto Blackheath).
Somebody reckoned the reference to Heathrow relates to the Brinks-Matt bullion heist, but that did'nt occur until a few years after the song was released.
Anyway, I'm not obsessing about this but I'm still going for Black'eath not 'eathrow.

https://youtu.be/uJ2cEc_TCH8?si=M02Ghqt7TcCxODoX
Old 02-01-24, 07:29 PM

Oddly, I was listening to this song today and I've always heard it as 'Heathrow', the words I can't make out is something about the squaw being tied up,
"she doesn't mind the ? It's the ? she doesn't need"
Old 02-01-24, 07:45 PM

Yes, looks like on my own with "Blackheath" - the squaw - "She doesn't mind the language it's the beating she don't need".
Old 03-01-24, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
"The Sweeney's doing nintie 'cos they've got the word to go, they got a gang of villains in a shed up at Heathrow"
From a 1975 episode of "The Sweeney" titled 'Golden Boy' .

Quote:
The Pan Am hangar appeared in an episode of the Sweeney, also appearing in the episode was the Pan Am Cargo Shed
The plot :
Quote:
Max Deller, who has stolen a consignment of gold and needs to get it out of the country. He leans on a former cell-mate, who has gone straight under another name, and who now runs a company which exports sporting goods. The plan is that the gold will leave the country as part of weight-lifting equipment

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 03-01-24, 12:11 PM

Darn - that 'eathrow fits in 3 years before the record was released. "We're The Sweeney - and we ain't 'ad our dinnah!". "Yoo Slaaaag"
Old 03-01-24, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, looks like on my own with "Blackheath" - the squaw - "She doesn't mind the language it's the beating she don't need".
"Beating", thanks for clearing that up!
Old 03-01-24, 06:33 PM

Considering that the singer's accent isn't "that" strong, a lot of the lyrics seem hard to go firm on.