British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-22, 08:19 PM

Default Irish Guards German made?

I came across this anomaly whilst sorting out my Guards' buttons. If they are indeed German made then they must date to between 1946-1952.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Middlesex 001.jpg (107.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Middlesex 002.jpg (113.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 30-10-22, 09:44 PM

The letter A is for the German manufacturer ASSMANN & SOHN.

Marc
Old 30-10-22, 10:07 PM

Thanks Marc.

Do you know why the MOD were were ordering buttons from Germany when we were still capable of button manufacturing in the U.K.? Was it a common practice?

Simon.
Old 31-10-22, 08:03 AM

Many german manufacturers of military badges, buttons etc were located in the City of Luedenscheid, British Occupation Area.
There was an intensive cooperation between the british administration and the former "third reich" manufacturers, only some month after the war they startet to produce wartime badges and medals again - as souveniers for the allied soldiers. With the help of the british administration. (That was forbidden by allied control commission !)
Later these manufacturers, amoung them Assmann, got also orders for uniform insigna and buttons to equip units of british, belgian, french and even US-occupation forces.
There are a lot of prime sources in the city-museum of Luedenscheid, also a very nice museum with large displays of buttons and insignias produced in the town, from end of the 19th century until today.

Regards
Markus

Edit: I have a comprehensive book about the insignia and button manufacturers of Luedenscheid at home, will look for more informations about the production for occupation forces this evening ........

Last edited by Markus Bodeux; 31-10-22 at 08:27 AM.
Old 31-10-22, 09:00 AM

Markus,

many thanks for your comprehensive answer to my query.

I am still perplexed, as never having been a quarter-master, I have no idea how many buttons a battalion would keep in stock on a foreign posting. I imagine that production runs must have been relatively expensive for small orders due to the cost of producing a die, and that large orders for Guardsmens' buttons would have been few and far between.

There certainly seems to have been a case for getting Germany's economy up and running. Probably much cheaper than British made badges and buttons from a regular British contractor too.

Simon.
Old 31-10-22, 11:16 AM

That were the reasons, to support the local manufacturers and very low prices in Germany after the war.
I have this book at home, will try to find it this evening ........ too many books ...

Regards
Markus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Unbenannt.jpg (28.9 KB, 29 views)
Old 31-10-22, 11:24 AM

I have a GVIR large Royal Engineers button with the same back mark, I assumed they were an option to buy to change the GS buttons on your greatcoat rather than an issue item?

Rob
Old 31-10-22, 01:13 PM

Found the book in my lunch break, but it is very sad - nearly 500 pages and hundreds of pics, but nothing about buttons or badges produced for foreign armys after 1945.
I visited some manufacturers in Luedenscheid in the 1990s, Assmann, Deumer, Linden and also the city museum. I saw sample boards with insignia for allied armies, and older employees told me about the time after the war.
Perhaps they "had" to produce these insigna as a kind of reparation or compensation ? I will try to find out more ........
Interesting that there are still buttons available, may be from old stocks:

https://berlin-military.com/Corps-of...ineers-Knoepfe

Regards
Markus

.... and here a lot of US-Military insigna made by Assmann after the war .....

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/for...ssmann&quick=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9260.jpg (48.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Royal Engineers Assmann.jpg (42.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Markus Bodeux; 31-10-22 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 09:22 AM

Thank you for poating the extra information and photographs.
Old 04-11-22, 01:24 PM

Default German badge manufacturing

I was going to tell about the Hopf Co who had a British arm, taken over by Britiain - still going.

They made plastic badges for the King's Regt - I don't know if they made badges for other - regiments.

I tried to give the whole history of Hopf (full details at TNA / Ministry of Supplies / badges.

OK that's it - last effort was 403 or whatever the damn thing is

I RESIGN

Now how do I resign.......

Last edited by KLR; 05-11-22 at 11:17 AM.