British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-07-08, 11:19 AM

Default RFC tortoiseshell badge

I found this badge following the death of a relative. Being RFC I’m guessing pre-1918, but I can’t seem to find any information on this badge, or it's rarity? Weight is 3.5g if that helps!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kris.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0146.JPG (21.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 29-07-08, 01:43 PM
David Douglas

Default RFC etc.

What you have is a very desirable sweetheart brooch, probably purchased by an officer for his sweetheart/wife/mother. Tortoiseshell types are very uncommon, especially to RFC and RNAS. Yours can probably be dated to 1914-1917. As I say, a very desirable item. Regards. David
Old 29-07-08, 02:08 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default RFC Tortoiseshell Sweethert Brooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson00 View Post
I found this badge following the death of a relative. Being RFC I’m guessing pre-1918, but I can’t seem to find any information on this badge, or it's rarity? Weight is 3.5g if that helps!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kris.
Just to endorse what David has said. I collect sweetheart brooches and although there are a lot (relatively speaking) of gold and silver brooches around, an RFC one is highly unusual in tortoiseshell - probably because they are not as sturdy and didn't don't last as long - however, whatever the reason, I have only seen a few in good condition and not repaired. I assume that the clasp/pin at the back is in good condition. Are you thinking of selling?
Old 29-07-08, 04:54 PM
Badge Guru

I would say the badge is worth around 100 pounds, at least that is what I would expect on eBay.

These are hand chased badges and this tortoise shell design was produced for nearly every unit. Many antiques that include tortoise shell do get easily damaged however these badge do normally survive well, Ive never seen a broken example.

I`m of the opinion that Flying Corps militaria is not rare. It was a huge corps if you dont believe me do some research.

There is flying corps militaria and then there is flying corps militaria. This item will only ever be a sweetheart brooch nothing more nothing less so the value in my opinion is fair. For me sweet heart brooches do not induce excitement. If you've got something exciting to the corps then we are talking the serious money e.g a solid silver hallmarked 1914 ofiicers cap badge for example.

Sorry to sound like I`m poo pooing a nice badge.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 29-07-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 29-07-08, 05:48 PM
David Douglas

Default RFC etc.

I am going to disagree with Jibba-Jabba on this (but then I am no 'badge guru') as I believe, in relative terms, this RFC tortoiseshell sweetheart brooch will command a much higher price than, say, a tortoiseshell brooch of the Royal Fusiliers. Jibba-Jabba may place sweetheart brooches low on his list of priorities but I can assure everyone that most collectors do not. Sweetheart brooches are highly prized and those to the rarer units command silly (but fair) money. I still have my grandmother's WW1 RNAS sweetheart brooch (not a tortoiseshell variety) and have seen very few over 4 decades of militaria involvement. RFC winged sweetheart brooches are reasonably common (but not that common) and always command a premium. So, the sweetheart which is the subject of this thread is, in my personal (and humble) opinion, a very nice and rare object. To the owner, financial value is probably not important and that is the way it should be with personal family items. Regards to all. David (definitely not a 'badge guru' or a 'guru' of any other persuasion)
Old 29-07-08, 07:52 PM
Badge Guru

David I know you are new here so I wont be offended by what you have said. Clearly you have not read the post where I was given this title, it is not a self proclaimed title, it was given to me by the owner of this forum in a joke because I provided a very useful tip bit of information. It is a joke nothing more and does not represent power over others here or level of knowledge. There really is nothing more to it so please if you could drop that tact I would appreciate it.

You are correct when you say I do not rate sweet heart jewellery. Any piece I find I sell and that is how I have come to know the prices. I also used to take the Military Sweetheart Jewellery Postal Auction catalogue as advertised in the Armourer magazine which was an excellent price guide.

The manufacturer of this badge did produce a series of badges with exactly the same design for many different units. The more desirable badges should have a Birmingham hallmark on the reverse.

Your point regarding sweet heart badges to small units or units which were only on the go for a short period of time is correct e.g. short lived CEF battalions, or Heavy Branch MGC etc etc but this badge is not one of those. This badge represents the Royal Flying Corps probably one of the largest corps in 1918 with a fantastic number of officers. Because of this I see a lot of Royal Flying Corps sweetheart brooches many of which are manufactured to a very high standard simply because the corps officers could afford them and there was great demand.

If this badge were to a line regiment I would value it at just a little under 75 pounds, even that is high considering far rarer white enamel / silver examples can be purchased from the dealers for less. £100 is a perfectly sensible price that does take into account the great interest in the RFC. In this economic climate and time of the year I am unsure even if this badge would achieve the 100 pounds.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 29-07-08 at 08:04 PM.
Old 29-07-08, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
I am going to disagree with Jibba-Jabba on this (but then I am no 'badge guru') as I believe, in relative terms, this RFC tortoiseshell sweetheart brooch will command a much higher price than, say, a tortoiseshell brooch of the Royal Fusiliers. Jibba-Jabba may place sweetheart brooches low on his list of priorities but I can assure everyone that most collectors do not. Sweetheart brooches are highly prized and those to the rarer units command silly (but fair) money. I still have my grandmother's WW1 RNAS sweetheart brooch (not a tortoiseshell variety) and have seen very few over 4 decades of militaria involvement. RFC winged sweetheart brooches are reasonably common (but not that common) and always command a premium. So, the sweetheart which is the subject of this thread is, in my personal (and humble) opinion, a very nice and rare object. To the owner, financial value is probably not important and that is the way it should be with personal family items. Regards to all. David (definitely not a 'badge guru' or a 'guru' of any other persuasion)
I most certainly agree here the price of sweetheart pins in general has outstripped that of their mentor. The tortoise shell line of pins was rare and select from the start ref PAM GAUNT AND THE FACT THAT SHELL export import is now banned in most countries adds a premium. I have one of the early PPCLI versions made in England of course and value it in exist of 250.00 .
Old 29-07-08, 08:52 PM
Badge Guru

You make a good point Paul. Tortoise shell isnt the most PC material to collect.

Tags
badge, rfc, tortoiseshell