British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-13, 12:16 AM

Default RCMP Air Division

Hi! I would like to know what variants of the RCMP pilot wings and specialty assignment badge exist, what years they were in use, and what would have been the associated cap badges worn by the RCMP pilots within these years.

Is there a source of information for this, and does anybody knows a source for these items?

Thank you!
Old 05-11-13, 12:44 PM

Is this link any help?

http://rcmpinsignia.tripod.com/page-...e-patches.html

Dave
Old 05-11-13, 05:07 PM

Default RCMP Pilot Wings

CF

Are you only interested in the insignia for the RCMP Pilot Wings or other sections of the RCMP and their various badges. The site noted by Dave shows some of the badges associated with the RCMP Air Division but the metal one is not an official issue. This site is one that is the property of Kevin Corr who is a retired FBI Agent. He is a fine fellow and with the exception of his new collection of Alaska Police Insignia he is solely RCMP. He displays issue RCMP items and non issue items on his site.

Besides the wings there was a Pegasus, gold in colour with either a dark blue background or a red background, depending on the uniform it was going to be worn on. There was also a gold wire version.

Let me know what you are looking for and I can send you some pics from my collection as well as there are some books that list some examples and dates.

Jack
Old 05-11-13, 10:30 PM

Default Photos of some RCMP Air Div Patches

Here are some pics of RCMP Air Division patches. There is a gold wire version of the one with and without the crown. The gold wire one with the crown is not issue. I believe the gold wire one without the crown was an issue item. The Pegasus one, as I stated before, was issued with a red background and gold thread as well as gold wire.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air insignia.jpg (96.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 06-11-13, 04:08 AM

Default Air division wings and patches

Thanks for the pictures. I am strictly looking for all variants of the pilot wings and pegasus Air Division patch.

I would also be interested in the cap/hat metal and cloth badges that would have been worn in the same periods the wings would have been worn. I do have a metal hat badge, but would be unable to identify its origins/years, etc...

Please let me know if you have some source for these items.

Thank you!
Old 06-11-13, 03:44 PM

CF

The pictures of the wings that you see are the 2 types of wings. The top 3 wings are slightly different due to the colour of the wings and the back of the patch, I suppose due to various suppliers. The set of wings with the crown is the bilingual patch. As for the Pegasus, as I stated before, there are two basic ones, dark blue back with gold pegasus and red back with gold pegasus. The Pegasus is also done in gold wire with red background. I personally have not seen a dark blue background with gold wire but that does not mean they did not exist.

As for the cap badges and cloth badges that were worn with the wings, the wings have been worn since the 1940's and thus the KC Cap Badge would have been worn and there have been some variations of that badge. Since Elizabeth II, there have been at least 8 variations of the cap badge and at least 5 variations of the cloth shoulder patch.

What cap badge do you have ? Can you include a picture?

Jack
Old 10-11-13, 12:46 AM

Default RCMP cap badge

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-11-13, 04:58 PM

Default Cap Badge

CF

The cap badge looks like the one I was issued in 1972, the anodized type. There were two types, one was quite noticeably thicker then the other. From there, they went into metal cap badges with colour in the crown, motto of the force and the ribbon at the bottom of the badge.

I will include a picture of mine in a later post for your viewing.

Let me know what I can help you with.

Jack
Old 10-11-13, 05:14 PM

Default Cap Bages

CF

Here is a photo of one of my boards. The top two rows of badges would all have been worn with the RCMP wings. The two cap badges on the top row left side are Officer Cap Badges. There are also a number of variants in the Officer Cap Badge, both in the Kings Crown and Queens Crown, that I do not have, that the wings would have been worn.

The wings would also have been worn with the Kings Crown badges on the next row, the 3 badges on the left.

Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rcmp3.jpg (48.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-11-13, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#199 View Post
CF

Here is a photo of one of my boards. The top two rows of badges would all have been worn with the RCMP wings. The two cap badges on the top row left side are Officer Cap Badges. There are also a number of variants in the Officer Cap Badge, both in the Kings Crown and Queens Crown, that I do not have, that the wings would have been worn.

The wings would also have been worn with the Kings Crown badges on the next row, the 3 badges on the left.

Jack
Nicely done.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 10-11-13, 07:42 PM

Default Board

Thank you very much for showing me this board. That will definitely steer me in the right direction as far as building up the display I want for these pieces... if and when I manage to be able to get them.
Old 11-11-13, 03:43 PM

Phil

Thanks, I have filled in some holes since that picture was taken.

CF

As far as obtaining any of the cap badges, etc., since retiring in 2005, my ability to obtain badges has diminished. I notice that you are in the Ottawa area. There would be a number of dealers in your area that you would be able to pick up some badges, I think Ursuls is in Ottawa and other members would be able to advise of other dealers in the Ottawa area. Marway Militaria is also another source of good badges. Jaime and Wayne Cline run and own the business in Winnipeg. Wayne is a retired member of the RCMP and very knowledgeable.

Good luck.

Jack
Old 12-11-13, 02:39 AM

Default RCMP Wings

CF

Check your Private Messages, I have sent you one.

Jack
Old 15-01-14, 02:54 AM

Default RCMP Air Division - Update

Thanks for all the help I have been given by forum members - Specifically Jack! I have now been able to obtain a few more items, and would like to show you guys, and benefit from your help in identifying some of these.

The wings without crowns:
- One yellow thread on felt without border
- One yellow thread with border
- One in mylar

The wings with the crown:
- One in mylar
- One bullion wing

Pins:
- One wing with crown
- One blue pegasus
- One black pegasus
- One big pegasus on black (3.5 inches, 3 ties on back)
- One 50 years anniversary pin

3 different cap badges and one bullion pegasus

Could someone please let me know if the wing on felt without border is earlier than the one with border, or vice-versa?

Does someone know what this big pegasus pin was intended for (it is enamel on copper, pro-made), or if it was even an RCMP item? Here is a second picture of it:

I am expecting bullion wings and pegasus over red.
I would greatly appreciate if someone would know where to locate the pegasus badges (red and black) with yellow thread, as well as the bilingual wings (yellow thread, bullion and mylar) and the unilingual wing in bullion.

I have some badges that I could trade for these. Let me know!