British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-13, 04:06 PM

Default ARP

Are hallmarked silver ARP lapel badges at all unusual? The example I have on loan is hallmarked London 1938. (maker JC (I believe)).
Thanks. Mike
Old 03-11-13, 04:34 PM

Hi Mike,

Pretty common I'm afraid, they are available for roughly 8-15 pounds depending on condition or fixing type. Most are made by Marples and Beasley in my experience.

An ebay search would probably reveal quite a few on sale.

Phil
Old 03-11-13, 04:45 PM

Phil,
Thanks. To my mind it's surprisingly well-made for the period and the organisation concerned - and a pretty solid chunk of silver. The ARP recipients will have been pleased.
Mike
Old 03-11-13, 04:52 PM

Do you have any pictures? The maker mark is especially interesting. It sounds like a cracking badge.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 03-11-13, 05:50 PM

Herewith:
ARP.01.jpgARP.02.jpg
Old 03-11-13, 05:57 PM

My apologies Mike, I should have said that most of the ARP badges in w/m, not HMS, are made by Marples & Beasley.

That does look like a nice example in very good condition thanks for putting the pictures up.

Phil
Old 03-11-13, 06:40 PM

Mike,
I am led to understand that the Silver Badges were private purchase and the issued were in white metal. Vast amounts still around in silver, WM are less common, they both came in Blue and Red boxes and had a wax packet to protect the badge inside.

They had two type of fixtures button hole Male and Pin for Female but on the introduction of the beret the pin backs became more sort after for wearing on the beret as the badge with a button hole fixture had a tendency to turn around.

regards

Stephen

Collecting to Stone Staffordshire and surrounding Towns and Villages. In particular the whereabouts of my Great Uncles medals

14 Star Trio 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment to 9605 Pte H Taylor known to be serving with A Coy 1915

also his brother location of his British War and Victory to 12125 Pte W.J Taylor serving with 5th Batt R.F. 1915. I have his 14/15 Star.
Old 03-11-13, 06:41 PM

Thanks Stephen
Mike
Old 03-11-13, 07:27 PM

Mike,

An interesting thread. The badge was designed for the Royal Mint by the notable sculptor Eric Gill, a job for which he was paid 3 guineas in January 1937. The first order placed for the badges was for lapel fixings only, those with pin backs for ladies following later.

They were anounced in Home Security Circular 701582/10 of 23rd February 1937 for issue to "persons who volunteer for ARP services and who undergo the necessary training". Other categories of wearer were added later.

In October 1938 the Home Office which issued the badges asked for authority to increase the number ordered to 950,000 badges. By February 1939 800,228 badges had been issued to the local authorities which issued them to their ARP volunteers

All the original badges were silver and bear hallmarks - yours has the hallmark of the London Assay Office, probably logical as it was situated close to the Mint on Tower Hill. From February 1940 the badges were made by commercial manufacturers including JR Gaunt who made the badges in nickel silver which the contemporary note points out "does not contain any silver".

From 1941 the badge was authorised for wear in the newly-issued CD headwear for male wardens - women wardens had been wearing them unofficially in their felt hats for some time previously.

Official issue of the badge ceased in March 1943 as CD uniforms made it no longer necessary and to save metal (Home Security Circular 49/1943.)

Shortly after the badge was announced the Governor of Malta sought permission for his ARP volunteers to adopt the badge with a Malta scroll beneath. After much discussion HM The King approved the badge for the Colonies "provided that the name of each dependency is added...at the foot" Known examples include Malta, Hong Kong, Kenya and The Straits Settlements (the latter hallmarked in Birmingham in 1938).

Info from National Archives File Mint 20/1485A

Jon
Old 03-11-13, 08:01 PM

Jon, thats fantastic information

I have attached a photograph, I took at the National Archives, of the original line drawing (design) submitted for approval of the Kenyan ARP badge.

Phil

edit: I had very little time left to study anything in depth, by this point, but hope to revisit in future.

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:05 PM.
Old 28-12-13, 07:45 AM

Default Straits Settlements ARP badge

ARP SS Singapore.jpg
The ARP in Singapore uses the Straits Settlements ARP badges.
Old 28-12-13, 02:04 PM

Default Johore ARP

This is an ARP badge from Johore in Malaya I picked up a couple of months back (although I posted it at the time I thought it might make a useful addition to this thread).

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12Oct2013 002b.jpg (72.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 12Oct2013 006b.jpg (59.6 KB, 15 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 12-02-14, 02:10 PM

Default ARP Straits Settlements

Hi Graham, nice ARP badge.

For viewing pleasure, I have attached a silver piece ARP Straits Settlements badge for ARP officers station in Singapore, Penang Malaya and Malacca Malaya.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARP web.jpg (52.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-11-19, 01:39 PM

Smile ARP STRAITS Settlements

For the ARP-SS badge, understand they will made of "German Silver", not silver but copper n alloys into it. Anyone can share how many of this were made for the Straits Settlements include Penang, Malacca and Singapore?

Without wearing the badge on the shirt, one is not consider a qualified ARP warden?
Thanks.