British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-15, 07:16 PM

Default New one from Quebec in Canada

Hi guys,

Another 'newbie' with almost no knowledge about badges and all that... this is why I came here. So, I know that my learning curve will be very sharp.

As you may read, my English is far to be good. If you read something funky, it is a second language issue. If you have the feeling to read a kid of 14 YO, you may not be that far because this is what my wife is telling from me but my driver license says 38.

I had almost no interest in WWI and WWII since I had the chance to spent a full summer working at my Regiment's Museum. I probably connected with a lot of History so that's the reason why I became a bit obsessed. Initially, my interest was about the 18th Century as my ancestor was a French soldier who arrived in Quebec in 1751 and fought in the 'compagnies franches de la Marine' and was present on the Plains of Abraham. I made a uniform like he was probably wearing and since the last 8 years, I started a small collection of original flintlocks muskets.

Then, I decided to move on the WWII side as it is almost impossible and way too much expensive to gather a WWI uniform. So, I'm working on a three different WWII uniforms. One from the Régiment de la Chaudière, one from the Royal 22ème Régiment and the last one on the Canadian Intelligence Corps. This is the major reason why I'm here. I'M not able to make the difference between WWII and post-WWII badges for the C. Int. C.. I hope I'll receive some more details.

That's pretty much it... long introduction! Hope I will not scare anyone?!

Martin
Old 22-02-15, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Martin. There has been lots of discussion about the badges and insignia of all three units you are working on. Some searches and going back through the threads on the different sub-fora will reveal a lot of information.
Have fun!
Old 22-02-15, 07:46 PM

Thanks Bill,

I understand what you meant... I already did some searches and found out it won't be easy to do what I want to do.

The two French regiments are much more easier to do as we have some original battledresses in the museums but the C. Int. C. is quite different. By reading the post where it appears that no badges were used in theatre, I would say, I'm not necessarily trying to restore a 'war' uniform but at least, one wore during this period. The reason why is mainly because I'm a former Int. sergeant and I know, even inside the actual branch, the history of that service is not the best known. I would like to get the proper cap badge and the shoulder flashes. I'll try to revive an old thread and will see what you guys have to say. You definitely have much more knowledge than I have...
Old 22-02-15, 07:48 PM

Funny thing... this forum does not work like the others... I think I sent a private message to Bill. All my apologies for that!

Here the message I was supposed to send to everyone.

Thanks Bill,

I understand what you meant... I already did some searches and found out it won't be easy to do what I want to do.

The two French regiments are much more easier to do as we have some original battledresses in the museums but the C. Int. C. is quite different. By reading the post where it appears that no badges were used in theatre, I would say, I'm not necessarily trying to restore a 'war' uniform but at least, one wore during this period. The reason why is mainly because I'm a former Int. sergeant and I know, even inside the actual branch, the history of that service is not the best known. I would like to get the proper cap badge and the shoulder flashes. I'll try to revive an old thread and will see what you guys have to say. You definitely have much more knowledge than I have...
Old 22-02-15, 08:12 PM

Salut Martin et bienvenue au Forum.....
contacte moi par message perso.....j'aimerais échanger des infos.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 22-02-15, 08:22 PM

Hi Martin,

A warm 'welcome' to the forum. Some very knowledgable and decent chaps here, so you are in good hands. Looking forward to seeing your collection grow.

If you think your English is bad, you haven't heard my Japanese..

Cheers, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs. Selous Scouts.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 22-02-15, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Martin, The Forum is set up to require mod approval of posts for 3 times. That way we can screen out spammers, bots, etc.
You may have one more approval or it may be okay now.
Old 22-02-15, 08:34 PM

So, let's have this third message approved! ;-)

At this point, I should not be a spammer... but I will suck so many information from you guys I should be considered as 'stealer'. I would say, I don't know much things regarding badges and from what I'm reading right now, I've been fooled with all the badges I bought...

Do I really want an original set for all the uniforms... maybe not. I would like to but I won't lost all my money on them as it will never stop. I am more a weapon collector. A very small weapon collector!

Also, I don't want to be the guy that will ask for value, fake or real and never contribute to this forum. For the moment, I really enjoy reading all the information you already posted on this forum. It is useful but I would say it also scares me... how can I trust a seller about the value of some badges. Again... before today, I was not suspecting this 'badges collecting world'. It is very fascinating...

Cheers,
Old 22-02-15, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Martin, If you are in doubt about the insignia you have, please post a few images and someone will help out.
Fakery is creeping into Canadian badges, but it is not as big a problem as the Brits have.
Old 22-02-15, 08:46 PM

Ok, so I have to understand that it is very difficult to get something real from the Brits side?! I was thinking it was better... ah beginner!!!

I will try to post picture in the good thread.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 22-02-15, 10:18 PM

Apparently, the system does not like me. This is my 8th post and I still have to be moderated!! ;-) I should be a real beginner...
Old 24-02-15, 10:11 PM

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the Forum and welcome to world of collecting Le Régiment de la Chaudière.

Be careful about Chaudière Battle Dress in Museums being original, there are a number out there that are made up of Post War parts.

Here are 3 BD in my collection.

Best,
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battle Dress Private P. Couillard (5).jpg (36.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Chaudiere Corporal BD.jpg (56.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Major Romeo Boulanger.jpg (41.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 24-02-15, 10:17 PM

Thanks Mike for the pictures. The battle dress are very nice. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Martin