British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-09-11, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Hello Chris,
picked this one up this morning W/M anodised aluminium General Service Corps badge.
Hope this is of interest Tony.
Hi Tony,

Yes, I have seen these but I believe that the ones with lugs are wrist badges.

I'll have to check but the cap badge proper was always with a slider and was always gold in colour.

Regards

Chris
Old 03-09-11, 12:49 PM

I agree with Chris on this one, it is a wrist badge. But I suppose a soldier could wear it as a cap badge and try not to get caught by the RSM
I have one in my collection on this pretext but worn between 1953 and the '90s when the GSC badge began being worn by recurits.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 03-09-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-09-11, 01:04 PM

Interesting this, I was given a GSC badged beret by a mate of mine maybe thirty years ago. It came from a collection of militaria he was given as a kid in the early 70's. The badge is indeed Gold anodised but is fitted using loops and split pin rarther than a slider!
Cheers Tony.
Old 03-09-11, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
Interesting this, I was given a GSC badged beret by a mate of mine maybe thirty years ago. It came from a collection of militaria he was given as a kid in the early 70's. The badge is indeed Gold anodised but is fitted using loops and split pin rarther than a slider!
Cheers Tony.
Tony, it sounds like a wrist badge being worn as a cap badge. They are exactly ths same, cap slidered, wrist badge lugs/loops but you could still wear a wrist badge in your beret, who would know? Only the wearer!
But saying this during my time in the army I saw very few wearing the GSC badge and when I did it was in the khaki service hat. I do not remember GSC wearing berets.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 03-09-11, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Tony, it sounds like a wrist badge being worn as a cap badge. They are exactly ths same, cap slidered, wrist badge lugs/loops but you could still wear a wrist badge in your beret, who would know? Only the wearer! But saying this during my time in the army I saw very few wearing the GSC badge and when I did it was in the khaki service hat. I do not remember GSC wearing berets.
Jerry my knowledge of militaria other than cap badges is very limited (not to say in any way I'm a expert on cap badges). I therfore take yours and Chris' identification as correct. As an aside I thought these wrist badges were worn as a WO's rank ID .You live and learn Thanks Tony.
Old 03-09-11, 03:02 PM

There is an all silver Agonised Ally Int Corps cap badge in my collection. Don't make any particular claim for it's authenticity and can't even remember where it came from, but prob from either Farnham or Aldershot Militaria fair in the 1980s

Images attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Int Corps - Silver, Reverse.jpg (55.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Int Corps - Silver.jpg (70.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-09-11, 03:26 PM

As well as the Gurkha Military Police and other already mentioned on this thread, I also have at least the following AA cap badges in all silver versions:

2 x different RAOC (Did someone say they wanted one? - PM Pls; we might be able to do a swap deal.)
Wiltshire Regiment PP cipher - recently purchased thru Ebay, but I haven't actually seen this badge yet.
Wessex Regiment - I think this is noted in John Gaylor's book; he said it was for use by Warrant Officers.
Queen's Gurkha Engineers - Perhaps this is a collar badge?
Royal Regiment of Wales
16th/5th Lancers
West Yorkshire Regiment

In all gold AA:
Nottinghamshire Hussars
Special Air Service
Yorkshire Regiment/Brigade
Royal Horse Artillery
Royal Alderney Militia
Royal Hussars

These may all be manufacturers' errors or fakes or private commissions and I make no particular claim for any of them.

There may be other oddities, but I don't have access to my collection at the moment.

Best regards to all
Old 03-09-11, 03:47 PM

I would like to refer to an earlier post in this thread about UDR & Royal Irish Regiment AA badge.
The UDR OR's wore the Gold coloured AA badge Oficers wore Silver colour.
The Royal Irish Rangers had their own badge. On amalgamation into Royal Irish Regiment ORs all wore the Gold Coloured Harp & Crown previously worn by the U.D.R.. Some time later this was changed to the Silver coloured badge of the same design.
Eddie
Old 03-09-11, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Evening Gents,
my offerings on this topic not mentioned above:-

Army Catering Corps (2nd pattern). ALL GOLD - ALL SILVER

Intelligence Corps (QC) ALL SILVER (JR Gaunt slider)

Royal Logistics Corps - ALL SILVER

RAMC. ALL SILVER. ALL GOLD

Devon & Dorset Regt. ALL SILVER

The Staffordshire Regt. ALL GOLD

Royal Green Jackets. ALL GOLD (clearly error)

Cheshire Regt. ALL GOLD

Royal Scots Dragoon Guards. ALL GOLD. ALL SILVER.

3rd Carabiniers. ALL SILVER (clearly been worn)

5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. ALL GOLD (?)

15/19 Kings Royal Hussars. ALL GOLD

SAS. ALL GOLD

Light Infantry. ALL GOLD ( ? )

Gurkha MP. ALL SILVER

Gurkha staff band. ALL GOLD

The Royal Hussars. ALL GOLD

RTR. ALL GOLD (JR Gaunt marked)

Royal Scots. ALL SILVER. ALL GOLD (this has been worn)

RRW. ALL GOLD

RA (1st pattern, small beret). ALL SILVER

RA (1st pattern, large cap). ALL SILVER. (also silver collar bombs)

Scots Guards. ALL SILVER

Irish Guards. ALL SILVER

14/20 Kings Hussars. ALL SILVER (no its not a Gurkha arm badge it has a slider)

Yorkshire Volunteers. ALL GOLD

Royal Alderny Militia. ALL GOLD. ALL SILVER

Now, before you all start tutting, YES of course there are clearly some errors and abhorations here. However all the colours quoted are correct, they are not faded gold or blank alloy examples etc.

Some oddities, but perhaps food for thought as they do exist. It is a little difficult to believe that quality control was that bad across all the makers we know and love.

Who knows.

All the best Gents

Bess
Helluva impressive list, Bess. Nice one.
Old 03-09-11, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
I would like to refer to an earlier post in this thread about UDR & Royal Irish Regiment AA badge.
The UDR OR's wore the Gold coloured AA badge Oficers wore Silver colour.
The Royal Irish Rangers had their own badge. On amalgamation into Royal Irish Regiment ORs all wore the Gold Coloured Harp & Crown previously worn by the U.D.R.. Some time later this was changed to the Silver coloured badge of the same design.
Eddie
Hi Eddie,

I have no official documented evidence of the silver UDR for officers (or for that matter any separate A/A badge for officers) but the rest you mention I have discovered from official documents.

The only badge that I think was proposed (but I cannot find official confirmation) was an all silver Gurkhas Engineers for No.1 Dress.

Regards

Chris